Find the answer to your Linux question:
I didn't want to hijack the other thread, so here's my problem. I'm trying to connect a linux box (Mandrake 10.1) to an NT domain, just as a client. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Samba joining NT domain #2

I didn't want to hijack the other thread, so here's my problem. I'm trying to connect a linux box (Mandrake 10.1) to an NT domain, just as a client.

I can ping both ways successfully, and the windows PC's can see the linux box just fine. I can join the domain using 'net rpc join ', but I cannot do anything with smbclient, I just get 'connection refused'

Here's what the debug info from smbclient says when attempting to 'smbclient -L matthew'

Code:
    Client started (version 3.0.7).
    internal_resolve_name: looking up matthew#20
    Opening cache file at /var/cache/samba/gencache.tdb
    Returning valid cache entry: key = NBT/MATTHEW#20, value = 192.168.0.2:0, timeout = Thu Dec 16 16:10:55 2004

name matthew#20 found.
    Connecting to 192.168.0.2 at port 445
    error connecting to 192.168.0.2:445 (Connection refused)
    Connecting to 192.168.0.2 at port 139
    error connecting to 192.168.0.2:139 (Connection refused)
    Error connecting to 192.168.0.2 (Connection refused)
    lang_tdb_init: /usr/lib/samba/en_GB:en.msg: No such file or directory
    Connection to matthew failed
    Any ideas anyone?

Cheers,
    Mark

Linux Engineer
    Simply to make sure,
    Did you specify the domain name in samba configuration, as well as the user/pass to use?

your domain in controled by an windows nt computer? (or W2K, W2k3)
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    The domain is specified in smb.conf, but not the user/password. I passed them with the net join command as in 'net rpc join NYFC -U Administrator'.

The domain is controlled by a Win NT 4 server. IP addresses are dyamically assigned using DHCP by an ADSL router, apart from the server, which is static at 192.168.0.2

Thanks,
    Mark

Just Joined!
    Sorted it, and it's all my fault!

I had got confused about the IP addresses, 192.168.0.2 is actually the router, whilst the server is at 192.168.0.1

If I do smbclient -L matthew -I 192.168.0.1 it's all good, and I can use smb4k to connect to shares, so all is fine.

Mark