Find the answer to your Linux question:
I host a few multiple virtual domains and some are using different ISP's. They want me to host their email but I don't want to relay their ISP so I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

smtp authentication

I host a few multiple virtual domains and some are using different ISP's. They want me to host their email but I don't want to relay their ISP so I want to set up authentication for my users with other ISP's
    Does anybody know how to do this?

Thanks,
    Mike

BTW I am running sendmail on Red Hat 9.0
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Linux Engineer
    Hey adrenaline...
    I want to make sure I understand corectly...
    you are hosting multiple domain, they want you to host there email as well...

you want to set authentication for what exactly... where will they send the email from...

please follow up on your setup... Thanks
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Alright Jo blo gets his internet service from verizon, but decides he wants me to host his virtual domain. "jbenterprises.com" He wants me to put up a website and he wants email jo@jbenterprises.com. For me to do that I would have to relay all of verizon. I don't want to do that so I need him to have a username and password authoriztion on my smtp server so I can allow him only to relay.

Does this make sense?
    Mike
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    I do..
    unfortunatly I know for a fact, that some ISP cannot be relayed.. ex:in canada, BellSouth and Sympatico, in order to send an email, if you are connected with there server, you HAVE to send outgoing message throu there SMTP server...

Also another "concern" is that for legal purposes, this could be dangerous for you... "unless" you have a company that will back this up, imagine I am your customer, I send email using your smtp... this meen I can spam(illegaly) and ALL redirection will be pointing at YOU!

Yet again this is based on my personnal experience. I wouldnt take this responsability.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This been said, there a way around this stuff... making aweb application that acts as a "WebServer" people connect throu this using a user/pass and "YOU" dispatch the message... using the proper account you want to use...

Again, you need to make sure you backed up with legal action if one customer descides to act funny with his email account...

I wouldn't, if i personnaly Ugo Deschamps, hosted a server in my bedroom take that risk.

Please follow up if Im out of track i get to excited sometimes :P
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Quote Originally Posted by UgoDeschamps
    I do..
    unfortunatly I know for a fact, that some ISP cannot be relayed.. ex:in canada, BellSouth and Sympatico, in order to send an email, if you are connected with there server, you HAVE to send outgoing message throu there SMTP server...

Also another "concern" is that for legal purposes, this could be dangerous for you... "unless" you have a company that will back this up, imagine I am your customer, I send email using your smtp... this meen I can spam(illegaly) and ALL redirection will be pointing at YOU!

Yet again this is based on my personnal experience. I wouldnt take this responsability.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This been said, there a way around this stuff... making aweb application that acts as a "WebServer" people connect throu this using a user/pass and "YOU" dispatch the message... using the proper account you want to use...

Again, you need to make sure you backed up with legal action if one customer descides to act funny with his email account...

I wouldn't, if i personnaly Ugo Deschamps, hosted a server in my bedroom take that risk.

Please follow up if Im out of track i get to excited sometimes :P
    These are business clients of mine. If they were spamming I would know about it plus I can cap the amount of out going recipients. I am not worried about them spamming, because I would kill their account and kick them to the curb.
    I do offer web mail to my clients, but alot of them prefer outlook for what ever reason. I am not worried bout misuse I just want to know how to set it up. (They would still need to authenticate to use the server I don't have open relay set up. )

I am not worried about lecal issues as these are business clients again.
    Plus if they were doing something illegal they would be doing it with their own domain names.

People with verizon accounts have to have authentication if they use their verizon account.

Thanks,
    Mike
    -- Linus Torvalds

Linux Engineer
    As for the legal action, thats perfect.

here's a few page's i've found that might be usefull

Hope this helps

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-28593.html
    http://www.ibrtses.com/linux/smtp.html
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Netw..._20902724.html

I wish I could be of a "real" usefull help, but I think that with these links you should be able to get the correct parameter

Can you also post the solution if you find it please... I'll put that into my "personal" knowledge base :P[/url]

Will do for sure. Thanks for the links will work on it over the weekend and let you know definitely what comes from it.
    Mike
    -- Linus Torvalds

Linux Enthusiast
    From your post it seems like you want to authenticate against Verizon, Sprint, AT&Ts database for authentication, right? If so, this would be veeeery difficult.

If you just want to authenticate against your own database full of customers/domains/etc, I would suggest you take a look at the qmail toaster setup. Located at shupp.org . Good step-by-step walkthrough on how to get qmail, vpopmail, ezmlm, and qmail-admin all setup with one big shot. About 30 minutes worth of reading the instructions once you have done it a couple times. Will probably take you 1-2 hours your first time.

They will then be able to go to something like http://webmail.jbenterprises.com and get their webmail through you, as well as pop, pop3s, imap, imaps (or whatever you leave open).

Let us know how it works out.

Best,

Samuel
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

I am using Red Hat 9.0 sendmail. I have customers that have verizon accounts but I host there web and mail. I want them to authenticate on my server using their own ISP.

I do have webmail running already but some users are dialup and webmail is inherently slow. they prefer to use a client

Mike
    -- Linus Torvalds