Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Mk, so i'll focus on learning web design and scripting and about getting it online later. Appearently the siman.dyndns.com thing costs 20 dollars a year now :/...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mk, so i'll focus on learning web design and scripting and about getting it online later. Appearently the siman.dyndns.com thing costs 20 dollars a year now :/

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by Silman View Post
    Appearently the siman.dyndns.com thing costs 20 dollars a year now :/
    Dagger! glad i signed up when i did. apparently there is still a way to sign up for the trial and keep 1 free account if u cancel - if this info is accurate:

From Dyn: What happened to Free Accounts - Dyn Community Forum

there is also still no-ip.com, that appears to still be free...for now

Just Joined!
    Well if i paid the 30 a year DynDns seems like it will track my DNS to my home server and i can set it up as my original domain name.

EDIT: Can i get an explanation as to what exactly a DNS is?. I keep googling it up i cant seem to get anything through my skull.
    Last edited by Silman; 06-09-2012 at 08:32 AM.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Well if i paid the 30 a year DynDns seems like it will track my DNS to my home server and i can set it up as my original domain name.
    That's kind of cool and probably worth the money/

EDIT: Can i get an explanation as to what exactly a DNS is?. I keep googling it up i cant seem to get anything through my skull.
    Everything that is connected to the Internet has an Internet Protocol Address or IP Address. For example www.linuxforums.org is 172.132.123.98. The network uses IP addresses to route traffic and to accept and drop packets as required. Imagine how much fun it would be to remember the IP Address of every site that you wanted to visit* so, enter DNS. DNS is a Name Resolution Service. It translates the human friendly www.linuxforums.org into an IP address that the network can use.

* That's a bit simplistic as it doesn't cater for the current ability for many sites to be served from the same IP Address.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    Ahh thanks so much!! Now i get it (a least in the most simple terms). So what exactly do they mean when they say "Manage DNS records"?

You think the 30 $/yr is worth being able to have it direct to my server? I think i might do that after looking itnto iit some more.

EDIT: Wait, sorry, what's the problem again? Why can't godaddy tell my website to point to my server without a service like DynDNS? Is it because the IP address of my server may change due to my sneaky ISP and DynDNS will track its changed IP address to always redirect to the server?
    Last edited by Silman; 06-09-2012 at 10:03 AM.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    The Gentoo docs are usually a good starting point as is the Arch Wiki.

My preference these days is to develop internally and use a hosting company for the actual website. It takes so much agro out of things. I did start out running my own server but it is a surprising amount of work. If you have the time it is fun and educational though.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    This summer (after finals are over on friday) i will have plenty of time! I really want to get this server working! I want to learrrrrrrrn!

EDIT: Im looking into DDNS services and it seems like http://www.changeip.com/ddnsinfo.asp is a pretty good one as far as money goes, but does anyone know how well it performs? (I think the 30/year DynDNS pro is only for domains registered with DynDNS so i would have to transfer my domain from godaddy to Dyn).
    Last edited by Silman; 06-09-2012 at 10:20 AM.

Trusted Penguin
    Wait, sorry, what's the problem again? Why can't godaddy tell my website to point to my server without a service like DynDNS? Is it because the IP address of my server may change due to my sneaky ISP and DynDNS will track its changed IP address to always redirect to the server?
    You would think that godaddy should be able to detect dynamic changes to your public ip address, but maybe not...might be worth asking them. I would definitely try to get a straight, thorough answer out of them before paying for ChangeIP/DynDNS services.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4