Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys! I have been trying to run my first home server! I installed CentOS on it and followed the "Perfect Server - Centos 6.2" guide from howtoforge, but the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How do i make my server visible on the web with a dynamic public IP?

Hey guys!

I have been trying to run my first home server! I installed CentOS on it and followed the "Perfect Server - Centos 6.2" guide from howtoforge, but the end of it left me just as confused as the beginning.

I purchased the domain silmanserver.com from godaddy, and i want my server to be a web server for my personal website which i am developing, but i cant get it to the point where i can access it from a computer.

I followed this guide to fix the fact i have a dynamic plublic IP and i set up an account with zoneedit and have their DNS servers listed in my godaddy control panel. but when i go to silmanserver.com it results in the

Code:
    Unable to connect     

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at silmanserver.com.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
        moments.
      If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
        connection.
      If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
        that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
    page.

How do i get my site accessible by other computers and how do i get it so that it points to my centOS box and in the right directory for webpages?

Hello, first of all you didn't need that DNS tutorial. If you already have a domain with godaddy you just had to configure over there you public IP.
    At godaddy just access to manage domain and point your domain to you public IP. And leave the rest as it is. You don't have to edit the default nameservers that godaddy gives you, they need to be edited only if you have your own DNS server.
    And to solve your "can't establish a connection" problem. Have you open your http port with iptables? CentOS and other RedHat based distros have most of the ports closed by default. And if you have it open already then check your router or modem ports configuration, maybe http port is closed there.

Just Joined!
    Actually because of your home server and you don't have a static IP you need to find a provider that can support dynamic dns, because your public ip changes you will have to manually change your dns server *each* time your ISP renews your IP. If go daddy supports it you can use something like ddclient? You'll have to install a client on your machine to update the record automatically each time it changes.

I use dyndns.com for my domain.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close