Find the answer to your Linux question:
So first off I would like to know what is the best OS to run on an unmannaged VPS? Once I have determined that I would like to know how ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Setting up an unmanaged VPS?

So first off I would like to know what is the best OS to run on an unmannaged VPS? Once I have determined that I would like to know how to set it up. As in a full guide, from once the OS is installed to get the DNS and having your site fully up!

Thanks guys!

It sounds as if you have done nothing to this point to help yourself. I think most will agree, we like to help people who take the point and attempt to help themselves first. You should first search the web for this information, there is plenty out there. You need to understand how this all works so that when a problem arises, which it will, you can at least attempt to fix it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Kammmmi View Post
    So first off I would like to know what is the best OS to run on an unmannaged VPS?
    I would point you to an OS that you already know and understand how it works.

Once I have determined that I would like to know how to set it up. As in a full guide, from once the OS is installed to get the DNS and having your site fully up!
    Here I am going to point you to the web to do your research. There are plenty of guides out there, the question is do you fully understand n what you are getting into?

We should not be the ones you look to for the complete setup, we should be the ones you look to for when you get stumped and need a guiding hand to figure out what you are stumped and how to move forward.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kammmmi View Post
    So first off I would like to know what is the best OS to run on an unmannaged VPS? Once I have determined that I would like to know how to set it up. As in a full guide, from once the OS is installed to get the DNS and having your site fully up!

Thanks guys!
    Hi! First, what are you goals with your VPS? Are you just setting up a static html website, or something like a wordpress or joomla site?
    I have an unmanaged VPS, I personally chose Debian stable (squeeze). It's decently documented, very stable, and has many of the latest packages in the repos.

At a bare minimum, to display a web page over the internet, you'll need webserver software. Apache2 comes installed on most VPSs, even unmanaged ones. Too much to go over here, but apache is where it all begins.

The next thing you should look into is MySQL. Most CMS sites such as wordpress, joomla, drupal, etc, use MySQL as the back-end to store data for your web site. If you're using a site such as those mentioned, you'll need MySQL. Simple to set up, just check out the old google.com for more info.

Next, for most modern sights, you'll want php5 installed. Google is your friend here as well.

To get the basic webserver package up and running on Ubuntu or Debian, you can check out this link:
    Ubuntu 12.04 Web Server
    Please note, it's written for ubuntu, but most packages/settings should be the same in Debian as well.

If you need more information, please let me know.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close