Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am working on getting a web server working on my Debian computer, and am setting up Apache. When I try to restart Apache I get the error :~# /etc/init.d/apache2 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

apache2Action 'start' failed.

I am working on getting a web server working on my Debian computer, and am setting up Apache. When I try to restart Apache I get the error

:~# /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
    Restarting web server: apache2Action 'start' failed.
    The Apache error log may have more information.
    failed!

Then in the Apache error log (/var/log/apache2/error.log) the only new addition is

"Unable to open logs"

I've searched for a while to try to figure this out, but haven't found anything yet. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Trusted Penguin
    make sure your apache config file is pointing to a location for logs (via the ErrorLog and CustomLog directives, I think) that is writable by the user running the webserver (or make sure that the dir even exists, especially if you've added VirtualHosts but those logs can't get written to b/c of perms/missing dirs).

also, you could try calling the httpd binary manually, to try and get more verbose output.

Just Joined!
    Okay, I feel like an idiot now. I went back and disabled all the url's from the virtualization, reading the config files one at a time. I found the one that was causing problems and after careful examination, comparing it to others, found the typo that I had made and missed the many times I looked through it again.

Thanks for the help.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close