Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there I'm a fairly new sys admin and took over for someone who left without much information transfer. Now to give you a bit of background about the issue, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Figuring out VM's and sites

Hi there I'm a fairly new sys admin and took over for someone who left without much information transfer. Now to give you a bit of background about the issue, power outage happened knocked down a lot of our servers I came in booted them up and we have a few VMs on each server and I have also started those there are still some internal company sites that have not come back online I need help trying to figure out where they are, I can find the IP for them but there is no response as the sites don't work. I'm thinking maybe the sites are on one of the VM's on the servers or they run through apache in which case what would be the command or easiest way to find out if apache has been installed on a VM? Thank you in advance.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by ajatt View Post
    Hi there I'm a fairly new sys admin and took over for someone who left without much information transfer. Now to give you a bit of background about the issue, power outage happened knocked down a lot of our servers I came in booted them up and we have a few VMs on each server and I have also started those there are still some internal company sites that have not come back online I need help trying to figure out where they are, I can find the IP for them but there is no response as the sites don't work. I'm thinking maybe the sites are on one of the VM's on the servers or they run through apache in which case what would be the command or easiest way to find out if apache has been installed on a VM? Thank you in advance.
    What distro are they running?

If they are running a RHEL based distro (RHEL, CentOS, Scientific Linux or Oracle Linux) you could do
    Code:
    rpm -qa | grep httpd
    to check whether apache is installed.

Linux Engineer
    You need to figure out which host has the IPs in question. Are the intranet sites in a DMZ? If so, those IPs might be NATs on a firewall (or hypervisor) somewhere. The IP should lead you where you need to go.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
    You need to figure out which host has the IPs in question. Are the intranet sites in a DMZ? If so, those IPs might be NATs on a firewall (or hypervisor) somewhere. The IP should lead you where you need to go.
    Thanks I will try using the apache command, ok I beleive we do have a dmz running. How would I use the ip address to find which VM machine it is one for example the site is say 10.1.0.27 what ip would I look for on the VM? Thanks. We have two firewalls so say the site ip is 10.1.0.27 and the firewall ip is 10.1.0.2 I guess the site should be here somewhere? how would I find out
    Last edited by ajatt; 07-17-2012 at 06:02 PM.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by manyrootsofallevil View Post
    What distro are they running?

If they are running a RHEL based distro (RHEL, CentOS, Scientific Linux or Oracle Linux) you could do
    Code:
    rpm -qa | grep httpd
    to check whether apache is installed.
    I believe they all run on ubuntu server based

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by ajatt View Post
    Thanks I will try using the apache command, ok I beleive we do have a dmz running. How would I use the ip address to find which VM machine it is one for example the site is say 10.1.0.27 what ip would I look for on the VM? Thanks. We have two firewalls so say the site ip is 10.1.0.27 and the firewall ip is 10.1.0.2 I guess the site should be here somewhere? how would I find out
    Well, no offense, but it sounds like you're way out of your league here. I suggest your company hire some outside help to assist with this.
    I have no idea about the topology of your network, so there's no information you can give me to help you figure out what is where.

I suggest logging into each hypervisor, and checking the IPs on each VM until you find the one with the IP that matches the website, or the IP that is behind the NAT. If the IP is behind a NAT, you need to figure out which firewall/router/etc is performing the NAT, log into that, and figure out what it's being NAT'd to.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
    Well, no offense, but it sounds like you're way out of your league here. I suggest your company hire some outside help to assist with this.
    I have no idea about the topology of your network, so there's no information you can give me to help you figure out what is where.

I suggest logging into each hypervisor, and checking the IPs on each VM until you find the one with the IP that matches the website, or the IP that is behind the NAT. If the IP is behind a NAT, you need to figure out which firewall/router/etc is performing the NAT, log into that, and figure out what it's being NAT'd to.
    Well thank you, I do have some outside help but they take a while as its an external company. I'll dig through each VM. I've asked old IT people that worked here they told me the sites I'm looking for should be right where the VM's are but they aren't there but I'll have a look around.