Find the answer to your Linux question:
NOTE: I know nothing about cloud computing or architecture. I noticed Ubuntu now offers a "cloud" version. Just wondering if anyone had used this on a small level (home or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Personal Cloud

NOTE: I know nothing about cloud computing or architecture.
    I noticed Ubuntu now offers a "cloud" version. Just wondering if anyone had used this on a small level (home or small business) and what the possibilities were?

I ask because I do a lot of video encoding through handbrake so I have a quad-core desktop set up with ubuntu that churns away near constantly. It's to the point where it's actually bottle necking my work. I was wondering if it would be possible to set up a personal cloud (say between 5 desktops) to do the encodings much faster?

Thanks,
    code_ape

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by code_ape View Post
    NOTE: I know nothing about cloud computing or architecture.
    I noticed Ubuntu now offers a "cloud" version. Just wondering if anyone had used this on a small level (home or small business) and what the possibilities were?

I ask because I do a lot of video encoding through handbrake so I have a quad-core desktop set up with ubuntu that churns away near constantly. It's to the point where it's actually bottle necking my work. I was wondering if it would be possible to set up a personal cloud (say between 5 desktops) to do the encodings much faster?

Thanks,
    code_ape
    You are talking about setting up a HPC cluster (maybe in the cloud), have a look at this.

Building home linux render cluster

and a personal plug as it seems relevant (tangentially) Run Linpack (HPL) on an HPC (beowulf-style) cluster using CentOS 6.2

HPL is one of the standard ways of benchmarking HPC clusters [to be fair is more akin to mine is bigger than yours, but there you go]