Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I'm starting a CCNA course and p/t degree in Computer Sc soon so I was looking at setting up a LAMP server. I've got as far as figuring ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

LAMP server for training...

Hi all,

I'm starting a CCNA course and p/t degree in Computer Sc soon so I was looking at setting up a LAMP server. I've got as far as figuring out which distro to go for (Ubuntu) for the web server (as I want seperate web, db and file servers), but I'm having trouble figuring what DB software to go for (as MySQL may not stay open source), whether I should be learning PHP, Perl or Python, and more importantly at this point, what hardware to be buying.

Anyways, for the time being, I'm just looking to setup 2 systems, a web server and a development workstation. I'm currently using an Athlon 64x2 4200+ w/ 2.5GB RAM which I can use for the time being as the workstation (unless you'd recommend otherwise), so that leaves the question, what should I be looking for in regards the server? I was originally looking at a socket F system but the combination of DDR2 and the conspicuous absence of any MBs doing the rounds is giving me second thoughts, so, C32? And if so can anyone recommend anywhere to get them on the cheap, and what else I should be considering?

Ok , I think that's enough for the first post, I hand it to you

P.S. Incase you hadn't guessed, I'm an absolute beginner in regards to all of the above subject matter.

Linux Engineer
    Don't spend your money on a server unless you have a definite need. An old desktop is more than enough. If you're going to buy new equipment, I suggest building a modest desktop to use as your 'server.' That's what I do. For testing purposes, you don't need ECC memory, you don't need out of band access, you don't need redundant power supplies, you don't need 15k SAS drives. You can get buy with a nice AMD Phenom II and 8g of RAM
    newegg.com or tigerdirect.com if you're in the US.
    Check out CentOS 6 and KVM. You can virtualize a whole private environment for testing purposes.

PHP is simple, easy to learn, well documented, and in production in millions of websites all over the internet. If you're interested in web development, it's an excellent place to start.

Perl is a good language to learn for scripting and application development in *Nix. I don't personally do anything with Python, but it's pretty flexible and also used widely.

Ok, lol, that's hardware sewn up then, and you're saying to go with CentOS instead of Ubuntu Server? As I'm only familiar with Windoze I was trying to keep it 'simple' for now by learning Ubuntu desktop n server concurrently, any thoughts? Also, I'm only interested in working in a *nix environment, are any of the languages mentioned M$centric or are they just as prevalent in *nix? Thanks in advance

Linux Engineer
    Yes, learning Ubuntu to keep it simple is fine! But, if you find yourself having weird hardware problems or bugs, my advice is to switch to another distro. Don't spend too much time trying to fix Ubuntu's bugginess

The languages mentioned apply to both Windows and *Nix environments, but more so the linux side of the house.

Don't completely isolate yourself from learning something about Windows either. Lots of environments require both sides of the house playing nicely together!

Ok, I'll bear that in mind, lol, any recommendations as per the other distros? As for Windows, say I was looking to work in LAMP environments only, in what instances might I need knowledge of Windows as well? Thanks for all your help btw, it's much appreciated