Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Guys, I apologize with the same subject already posted before. But I couldn't find the solution because my case is little different. I'm new in Server deployment etc. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ssh access denied

Hi Guys,

I apologize with the same subject already posted before. But I couldn't find the solution because my case is little different.
    I'm new in Server deployment etc. I have this RoR project develop now my client who just recently purchased domain and set the server name for it, gave me credentials to setup the project.
    I tried login to the server with the credentials given. I got logged in to server through Filezilla but with the same username/pwd I cannot get login through SSH. I enter username (seems accepted username) and ask for pwd when I enter pwd it says ACCESS DENIED) Credentials cannot be wrong.
    Please tell me what could be the reason? How come I can login with same credentials through Filezilla but not putty(v=0.62)?

Second thing for my info, filezilla opens a blank directory "/" Not any folder like /etc /bin etc etc? How am I suppose to start? Installation etc? Can anyone help with this? Any idea?

Any kind of help is really appreciated. Please I'm in trouble help me out.

Thanks in advance.

Abbas

Just Joined!
    I suppose you are connecting to filezilla via ftp (ports 20 and 21). If you are using SSH, most likely it's using port 23. In other words, the server is not configured for SSH access.

You are directed to a directory / because that directory is configured as the default for your user account.

Just Joined!
    ..the server might be configured for SSH access, but your account is not enable to use SSH..

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ilesterg View Post
    I suppose you are connecting to filezilla via ftp (ports 20 and 21). If you are using SSH, most likely it's using port 23. In other words, the server is not configured for SSH access.

You are directed to a directory / because that directory is configured as the default for your user account.
    Thanks for your response. I have emailed them and soon hopefully they will configure the server for SSH.
    Plus I need your help as I'm new in deploying project. I read the instructions for Ruby on Rails project and will do all the installation like that. But as previously I have placed 1/2 projects in webserver /www/ directory here as directory is blank where I'm suppose to? I mean what is my next step to take? Should do RoR installation when SSH configured? And then?

Your help will be really appreciated. Thanks once again.