Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm a senior at a HS in Fl. Our school is not refreshing new computers this year but my yearbook dept desperately needs a server so that we can work ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Post School Server

I'm a senior at a HS in Fl. Our school is not refreshing new computers this year but my yearbook dept desperately needs a server so that we can work across multiple computers and store all of our information in one place. I've been trying to read up on installing Ubuntu Server but there's really no articles on installing it as far as I can tell. Now I'm not a newbie to computers, but I'm not MIT certified either. I know a little bit about a lot. Is there a quick simple guide to installing Ubuntu Server? I need it to work across two different networks. The County's server so that they can give us web access and watch us etc, but also communicate with the Linux server for storage purposes, Like an FTP.

The only other solution is to utilize drop box, but with it being a school system, there's an issue with installing programs on them.

Solutions?
    I hope you guys can help me! I've used regular Ubuntu before and loved it, but I'm new to servers other than uploading.

Stonerjp, it sounds to me like you just want a little hand holding as you are faced with the "unknown." There is pleny of info out there on installing Ubuntu Server... well like, this and this so you should have a lot of resources on the web. Just download the .iso and follow the direction to install. If you fail the first time, then just try again. You were smart enough to find us which leads me to believe you're smart enough to install Ubuntu Server. Go for it! If you have any questions after first try, come back here and let us know.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Stonerjp, it sounds to me like you just want a little hand holding as you are faced with the "unknown." There is pleny of info out there on installing Ubuntu Server... well like, and this[/URL] so you should have a lot of resources on the web. Just download the .iso and follow the direction to install. If you fail the first time, then just try again. You were smart enough to find us which leads me to believe you're smart enough to install Ubuntu Server. Go for it! If you have any questions after first try, come back here and let us know.
    Thank you. I guess that is partially true. Because if I screw it up, my yearbook will have some major issues this year. But if I have any issues I will certainly be back! Thank you for getting back with me

You'll do a great job. Everything you've said here proves you're conscientious, thus you won't rest until it's right. Dive right in!
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here