Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I'm having a very strange problem and I hope someone can help. I have recently built a Ubuntu 12.04 Server to replace my aging Fedora Server. This is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

SWAT behaving strangely!

Hi all, I'm having a very strange problem and I hope someone can help. I have recently built a Ubuntu 12.04 Server to replace my aging Fedora Server. This is not the first time I have built a Linux server so I thought it should be easy....how wrong I was!! I have installed Samba and SWAT version 3.6.3. I have copied my old smb.conf to the new server and it all works fine apart from one thing. When I try to administer the Samba server using SWAT, it shows no global configuration and no shares. Any ideas anyone please?

You say the server works, but I wonder . . . from the SWAT documentation:

"Before using SWAT, please be warned SWAT will completely replace your smb.conf with a fully optimized file that has been stripped of all comments you might have placed there and only nondefault settings will be written to the file."

You may have to set up the global configuration and shares in SWAT.

Thanks hagfish52, yeah checked that all already. It won't even let me create a new smb.conf with the wizard!! I've got round the problem by copying my old smb.conf file from my old server and it is working perfectly. My server is acting properly and a windows PDC, all my shares are accessible and the logon scripts work fine. It just isnt showing ANYTHING is the Globals or Shares area!! It's almost as though it doesn't know where the files are!! I can see smb.conf and edit it in Webmin, and the shares show up in the Samba section of Webmin. Still very puzzled, never had this happen before lol. Any help would still be appreciated.

It might be a permissions problem with the smb.conf file. Check this out: Install SWAT (Samba Web Configuration Tool) On Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin | Help Desk Screeds

Hi again Hagfish52, thought for a moment you might have hit on the one thing I didn't think of checking, alas, it was not sot so. I have even tried to CHMOD to 777 and it still doesn't show either Global values or Share Info?!?! Extremely puzzled!

Apologies for the Typo lol.

Well, I have run out of ideas. As you know, SWAT is a pretty complicated program, so tracking down the cause of failure is problematic. You might try another SAMBA administration program called "system-config-samba" that is available in the Software Center, and see if that works better for you. It was originally developed by Redhat for RHEL.

Hi HagFish52, ty for the suggestion. I'm installing it now and will let you know later today how I get on. Thank you for the help and, yes i know SWAT can be a pain in the A** lol.

Installed it. Pretty basic but not too bad. I can use it to create basic shares over the network with VNC and then manually tweak the smb.conf entries. Thank you for your help. Anyone else reading this feel like a challenge, go for it and try and help me get to the bottom of this one. Good Luck !!!

Some pointers on configuration and on using the GUI and the command-line: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Precise Pangolin: File sharing with Samba. - SitePoint