Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have read the book using samba, and I am stuck. When Installing Ubuntu Server 12.04 and you select Windows File Server (or something like that), you get the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing an older version of samba

Hello,

I have read the book using samba, and I am stuck.
    When Installing Ubuntu Server 12.04 and you select Windows File Server (or something like that), you get the latest version.
    I tried to follow the directions given in the book but the Samba software has dramaticaly changed.
    So I want to install version 3.0.22. Question is how?

I looked for a .deb package but can't find one.
    And I know that compiling the source code is difficult because Ubuntu handles different directories than the original Samba defaults.

Hope somebody can help me out.

Thanks in advance.

Jan Visser.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Don't! You should read the man pages for your distribution's version of Samba to determine the differences between what you learned from the book, and what is going on now. There are also a lot of resources (tutorials, etc) on the Internet to help. In any case, installing an older version of Samba on your Ubuntu system is likely to cause you nothing but headaches, if you are lucky!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!