Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Hello everyone, I have seen many docs,pdfs and articles to compile tomcat6 for x86(that is our PC). But I could not find any for ARM / MIPS. But I would ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How Compile and Download Tomcat6 in ARM/MIPS based Board

Hello everyone,

I have seen many docs,pdfs and articles to compile tomcat6 for x86(that is our PC).

But I could not find any for ARM / MIPS.
    But I would like to compile it for ARM OR MIPS based system(any system) and download it in to the board & run it.

Or Do we have any better option then tomcat which is easy to use? (preferred open source).

I am very new to this tomcat thing . please help me out friends.

Thank you in advance.

Trusted Penguin
    Have you looked for the required packages on the Debian or Fedora ARM ports?

Just Joined!
    Thank you for the reply.

Can you just provide me any link from where I can find required packages to compile and put tomcat in to my arm board?

for cross compile tomcat on my PC what packages are required?

Please help me out.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I am using ubuntu 10.4.4 LTS.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by patelhemal2210 View Post
    Thank you for the reply.

Can you just provide me any link from where I can find required packages to compile and put tomcat in to my arm board?

for cross compile tomcat on my PC what packages are required?

Please help me out.
    i'm a bit confused: you have Ubuntu 10.04 already on your ARM board, and you want to add tomcat6? do you have sources set up? If so, can you just do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install tomcat6
    You can browse the available tomcat6-related packages for Ubuntu 10.04/Lucid for all available architectures here:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/tomcat6

Just Joined!
    I do not have ubuntu in my arm board , that is in my x86 system .
    I am using it for cross compilation of tomcat6 for arm based board.

Hope you understand what I am trying to say.

We first need to cross compile tomcat6 for ARM board right?
    I just want to know how to do it?

Just Joined!
    let me put it in different way,

I have ARM board and I would like to put tomcat(any version) into it.

How can I do that?
    and what are the packages and what other things I need to do so?

Hope now get my point.

Trusted Penguin
    I do not have ubuntu in my arm board , that is in my x86 system .
    I am using it for cross compilation of tomcat6 for arm based board.

Hope you understand what I am trying to say.
    okay, got it now.

We first need to cross compile tomcat6 for ARM board right?
    Not necessarily. If there are packages already compiled for your architecture and distro, then it is much easier to just use them. Of course, it depends on what distro you have on your ARM board. I had assumed it was Ubuntu. So what do you have on there? Is it some embedded derivative of Linux that came w/the board? In that case, the mfgr usually supplies (or at least recommends) a cross-compiling tool chain that you would install on your host (Ubuntu) PC and use to compile packages for the target board.
    Last edited by atreyu; 08-22-2012 at 04:44 AM. Reason: format

Just Joined!
    ok. there you go.

First of all it is just a thought of implementing tomcat on arm board.

I ready do not have any ARM board with me right now.(but going to buy 1 soon.),
    So I thought of implementing tomcat on my ARM board when I buy it.

my question is,
    how can I determine does my board support tomcat?

and you did not answer my question that "compilation of tomcat for ARM is same as for x86?"
    if No then , How it differ?

(I hope , I am asking relevant questions because I am v new to this tomcat thing. SO please help me out. thank you atreyu (LINUX Guru) ).

Trusted Penguin
    First of all it is just a thought of implementing tomcat on arm board.

I ready do not have any ARM board with me right now.(but going to buy 1 soon.),
    So I thought of implementing tomcat on my ARM board when I buy it.

my question is,
    how can I determine does my board support tomcat?
    I see now. In answer to your question, I would say that I'm not sure whether or not you could compile tomat6 from source to run on your particular ARM hardware (whatever it turns out to be)...but the chances are good that you could.

Also (and more importantly, IMO), if you get a board w/an ARM processor that is already supported by an existing Linux distro w/an ARM port, the tomcat packages may already be made for you, and all you have to do is install them. That is what I was trying to get at originally.

and you did not answer my question that "compilation of tomcat for ARM is same as for x86?"
    well, it is similar, if not the same. you need the proper compiler and support tools in place (gcc, make, binutils, etc.), but there are also arch-specific steps involved, I would guess. Compiling for ARM is definitely more tricky and involved than compiling for x86. For one thing, there are several ARM variants and sometimes it is unclear which is which (to me). You also have to worry about endianess sometimes.

Anyway, what I would recommend is to research the Linux distros that have ARM ports available (e.g. Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu) and see if any of their repositories of software already contain the packages (tomcat, etc.). Also look into which distros have cross-compiler software which will assist you when it comes time to compile some software from source.
    patelhemal2210 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast