Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am not familiar with squid. Can someone give me a quick rundown of what it is and maybe some main points about getting it started. Example. At my school ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Squid

I am not familiar with squid. Can someone give me a quick rundown of what it is and maybe some main points about getting it started.

Example.
    At my school they have wireless but they block port 80 with a username and password and somebody told me that if I set up squid at home I can get around this. Is this possible and if so any advice would be appreciated.

thanks,
    Mike
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/top...ighlight=proxy

as long as you have ssh this will work

Thanks for the link but I think that there isn't enough information for me to start with. I like all the ideas but I don't know how to configure squid. I am intrigued about the cgi option too. I think that link would be more usefull if I knew how to configure squid.

Do you have a link for that maybe?

Mike
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

http://squid-docs.sourceforge.net/latest/book-full.html

the default install for squid should be good enough for what you are trying to do. I am sure there are packages for your system, fedora/redhat there are definitly rpms available

Thanks for the link. I will dive into that sorry I wasn't specific I am using RH 9.0 pro. and it is already installed. Thanks again
    Mike
    -- Linus Torvalds