Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi guys, This question may well belong in the newbie section, but this category seemed better suited. I am almost completely new to linux I have no experience of working ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Red face newbie question - ssh tunnels, putty and sooo much more

hi guys,

This question may well belong in the newbie section, but this category seemed better suited.

I am almost completely new to linux I have no experience of working in code, but am trying to teach myself using Google and related forums and have to say I am loving it so far!

Although I am now pulling my hair out trying to create a file server on Mint.

I have installed the latest version of Mint on to an old optiplex box that I want to use as a remotely accessible server purely as a dumping ground for all my photographs.

I have downloaded Apache2, a SSH client amongst loads of other packages that I have downloaded from articles found on google.

The optiplex box is hard wired to the router.

I am using putty on a windows laptop, and trying to connect directly to the optiplex box, but I cant establish a connection. In fact I dont even get the password box to appear, all I get is connection timed out error.

The Optiplex box running linux is able to connect to the net...

please can somebody help!! what am I doing wrong!!??

keep the replies simple please

kindest regards

chris

Linux Newbie
    Does your firewall allow ssh connections? Are you connecting using hostname or IP address?

Just Joined!
    I have tried connecting both ways, how do i find out if my firewall will allow ssh connections? - altho that said, I have tried with the firewall off and still no joy

kind regards

chris

Linux Newbie
    what port are you using to connect to the server with? Also, are you connecting via IP or via hostname?

Trusted Penguin
    is the ssh daemon running on the Linux box? try to ssh locally (e.g. "ssh user@localhost").

also, you mentioned downloading apache and ssh clients, etc. - are you downloading these to install on the Linux box? If so, you should really use the Package Manager for your distro to install software, whenever possible, e.g.:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install apache2 openssh-client openssh-server