Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have yet to get Samba functioning properly.. I have read this tutorial on setting up Samba, but I just can't get it to work. I have an Error when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Samba Problems

I have yet to get Samba functioning properly.. I have read this tutorial on setting up Samba, but I just can't get it to work. I have an Error when I load GNOME [my WM] about it not being able to connect to the internet to retrieve info, and GNOME will not function properly without it, try adding Gentoo Box [my hostname] to /etc/hosts to try resolving the problem. This error only appeared after I installed Samba [using emerge], so I am not sure what is wrong with that. The only thing that has me wondering, is the Workgroup syncing. It used to display my Workgroup when I login, but now it just says "Gentoo Box@unknown_workgroup" [or something like that]. But when I boot up, it says "Setting workgroup to JUSTINSTNETWORK".. so I know it has that info.. and my windows box has the workgroup name "JUSTINSNETWORK".. so I am not sure what I did wrong [I followed the directions exactly in that tutorial I posted earlier.

It is version 3.0.8 on Gentoo 2004.3, using GNOME [obviously].

This is my smb.conf file:
    Code:
    #  Global Parameters

workgroup = home
    netbios name = 
    encrypt passwords = yes

[everyone]
    path = /home/justin/.aMule/Incoming
    read only = no
    browseable = yes

[global]

server string = Gentoo Box
    wins support = no

-justin

Should it not be?
    Code:
    #  Global Parameters
    [global]
    server string = Gentoo Box
    wins support = no
    workgroup = home
    netbios name =
    encrypt passwords = yes

[everyone]
    path = /home/justin/.aMule/Incoming
    read only = no
    browseable = yes

Just Joined!
    That got testparm to say everything was fine and dandy [didn't say that before].. so now that I know Samba is working properly.. it must be something on my windows box. I guess I haven't set it up there yet . What would my Domain be? I tired the internal IP Address for my Linux Box, but that didn't work. I tried the workgroup name and hostname, none of them worked. Obviously I do not have something setup correctly on the Windows side.. or perhaps the Linux side, since my Linux Box doesn't see the windows box..

-justin

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    For windows you would need to join the workgroup
    Code:
    home
    if you used the config posted. If you dont know how to change workgroup goto start->settings->control_panel the select system and goto network idetification (IIRC) and select workgroup not domain. You will need to restart windows and samba. Also how are you mounting the network drive in windows?

Just Joined!
    Have that setup. Restarted Samba and windows. Mounting the drive in windows? Err.. i'm not doing that. <-- sounds like my problem. How do I do that? In case it matters, windows is NOT seeing my Linux Box on the network. I still do not know why this is happening. Or, does mounting the hdd in windows cure that?

-justin

You can browse it using windows explorer via network places -> computers near me and there should be your computer and the samba server just double click the folder and you should see the samba servers shares. Or you can map it by right clicking my computer icon on your descktop -> select map network drive then the folder is //ip_of_samba_server/everyone then click ok. Now it will apear like normal drive in windows explorer.

Just Joined!
    When I do the Map Network Drive, nothing happens.. as in I click it, and nothing happens. Bastid windows! Any other way i could do that? Like through a terminal or something?

-justin