Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, First of all, I'm pretty new to using Linux as a server (I've only really used Linux on my desktop PC for daily use). I purchased a server from ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question IP range and other IP addresses?

Hello,

First of all, I'm pretty new to using Linux as a server (I've only really used Linux on my desktop PC for daily use).

I purchased a server from Datashack (5*, great service thus far!) to host a Minecraft server and its website.

I've gotten the site running fine, however I'm using the server's main IP address (the one I use for SSH, so that's probably a security issue, right?). I remember when I purchased the server something about "# usable IPv4 Addresses", and I'm wondering how I can use them?

In the client area on Datashack's site there something about "IP range" under the server's IP and it looks like 63.xxx.xxx.130-134. Does that mean I can use 63.xxx.xxx.131, 63.xxx.xxx.132, 63.xxx.xxx.133 and 63.xxx.xxx.134, and if so, how?

I'm pretty new to iptables and I've only gotten it configured with port 25565 for the Minecraft server and port 80 for the site seems to have been already open.

Any help would be appreciated!

Linux Newbie
    If you run this command,

Code:
    ifconfig -a
    it will list all the network interfaces (both real an virtual) on the system along with their IP addresses. Anything listed there should work unless the hosting provider goes out of their way to make things difficult for you.

And unless you (or whoever setup the system) configured software to listen on specific IP addresses for incoming connections, the default behavior is to listen on all available IP's. So aside from getting the firewall configs in place, you could be all set.

To check what IP's and ports your servers are listening on, run this command.

Code:
    netstat -an | grep LISTEN
    The lines showing TCP LISTEN's will either list a specific IP address and a port, or will have zeroes for the IP address with the port on the end. The ones with zeroes are listening for connections on all IP addresses. And as you probably already know this, but "127.0.0.1" is the loopback interface and is useless for external connectivity.

To know the usable address space one needs to know the netmask.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by cnamejj View Post
    If you run this command,

Code:
    ifconfig -a
    it will list all the network interfaces (both real an virtual) on the system along with their IP addresses. Anything listed there should work unless the hosting provider goes out of their way to make things difficult for you.

And unless you (or whoever setup the system) configured software to listen on specific IP addresses for incoming connections, the default behavior is to listen on all available IP's. So aside from getting the firewall configs in place, you could be all set.

To check what IP's and ports your servers are listening on, run this command.

Code:
    netstat -an | grep LISTEN
    The lines showing TCP LISTEN's will either list a specific IP address and a port, or will have zeroes for the IP address with the port on the end. The ones with zeroes are listening for connections on all IP addresses. And as you probably already know this, but "127.0.0.1" is the loopback interface and is useless for external connectivity.
    Thanks, I did ifconfig -a, however only got eth0. I found something online through about creating aliases for eth0 as eth0:0-3, each one with it's own configuration, with its IP address in it so I've gotten different things to listen on different IP addresses