Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi i put a simple script to clear cache according to a guide here : found in hosting dot com site : Connect via shell using a program such as ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Permission problem

hi
    i put a simple script to clear cache according to a guide here :
    found in hosting dot com site :

Connect via shell using a program such as Putty
    At the shell prompt type crontab -e <enter> as this will allow you to edit cron jobs for the root user.
    If you are not familiar with vi (linux editor) you press "i" to insert text and once done hit "esc" and type ":wq" to save the file.
    Scroll to the bottom of the cron file using the arrows key and enter the following line:
    0 * * * * /root/clearcache.sh
    Create a file in '/root' called 'clearcache.sh' with the following content:
    #!/bin/sh
    sync; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

Once you have saved this file, the job is complete!

but i get as result :
    /bin/sh: /root/clearcache.sh: Permission denied

please advice how to overcome this Permission problem

thanks

Linux Enthusiast
    Hi there,

There seems to be a problem with your links (I think they are forbidden until you've made a certain number of posts as an anti-spam measure) but I think we can solve this without them.

If you run:
    Code:
    # ls -l /root/clearcache.sh
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2012-10-31 23:04 /root/clearcache.sh
    The bit you are interested is the permissions set at the start of the line. Here root can read and write the file, and group and others can only read the file. If I try to execute it I will get the same permission denied error because the execute bit is not set. If this matches what you see then run the following:
    Code:
    # chmod u+x /root/clearcache.sh
    -rwxr--r-- 1 root root 0 2012-10-31 23:04 /root/clearcache.sh
    You can see the execute bit is now set and you ought to be able to run the script.

Let us know how you get on.
    To be good, you must first be bad. "Newbie" is a rank, not a slight.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by kakariko81280 View Post
    Hi there,

There seems to be a problem with your links (I think they are forbidden until you've made a certain number of posts as an anti-spam measure) but I think we can solve this without them.

If you run:
    Code:
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2012-10-31 23:04 /root/clearcache.sh
    The bit you are interested is the permissions set at the start of the line. Here root can read and write the file, and group and others can only read the file. If I try to execute it I will get the same permission denied error because the execute bit is not set. If this matches what you see then run the following:
    Code:
    # chmod u+x /root/clearcache.sh
    -rwxr--r-- 1 root root 0 2012-10-31 23:04 /root/clearcache.sh
    You can see the execute bit is now set and you ought to be able to run the script.

thanks for your reply
    the permissions were 777 i changed it as you wrote
    and i think its fine.

regarding the action it self the clearing cache every hour
    is it good for my server ?
    thanks

Linux Enthusiast
    Hi there,

I don't know what you are using your server for so I can't give you a definite answer. If you don't have a good reason for doing it, then probably not. If clearing the cache every hour was generally a good idea then the default set up would do it for you. On the other hand, there must be some cases where clearing the cache is a good thing or the option wouldn't be available. It really boils down to what your server is going to be doing.

If the article you linked to isn't explaining why you should or shouldn't do something then I would recommend leaving it alone and doing more research and asking questions until you are sure what's going on and that it's the right thing to do.

To be good, you must first be bad. "Newbie" is a rank, not a slight.