Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, Host - Fadora17 desktop 64bit Client - Opensuse 12.2 server KVM - virtualizer. Openssh server is running on Opensuse server and Openssh client is running on Fadora desktop. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Re installation of PuTTY

Hi all,

Host - Fadora17 desktop 64bit
    Client - Opensuse 12.2 server
    KVM - virtualizer.

Openssh server is running on Opensuse server and Openssh client is running on Fadora desktop. I can ssh connect the server on Fadora desktop. Now I expect testing PuTTY, the emulator, which I haven't used before. I have following questions?

1) Do I need to install PuTTY on both server and desktop? Or just install it on Fadora desktop?

2) Can I install and run PuTTY on a server to remotely connect another server (both running Openssh server)? Or PuTTY needs graphics to run?

Pls advise. TIA

satimis

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You need putty because? Putty is an ssh/telnet client primarily - I use it for ssh connections on Windows to connect to a variety of Linux/Unix systems. However, I don't bother with it to connect from Linux to other systems - I use native ssh instead.

Putty doesn't need (AFAIK) graphics to run, though that may not be true when you are using the Putty client - not sure. Windows is the ONLY system I use it with, and a GUI is inherent there.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    You need putty because? Putty is an ssh/telnet client primarily - I use it for ssh connections on Windows to connect to a variety of Linux/Unix systems. However, I don't bother with it to connect from Linux to other systems - I use native ssh instead.
    I have no problem connecting Linux PC to another Linux PC via SSH including X forwarding. To learn PuTTY is just for curiosity.

Putty doesn't need (AFAIK) graphics to run, though that may not be true when you are using the Putty client - not sure. Windows is the ONLY system I use it with, and a GUI is inherent there.
    Thanks

satimis