Find the answer to your Linux question:
I got an email the other day that contained obvious malware. let me start by saying that none of my computers got infected. What alarmed me was that clamAV didn't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Layered Deep Packet Inspection?

I got an email the other day that contained obvious malware. let me start by saying that none of my computers got infected. What alarmed me was that clamAV didn't detect it. I know that there is no perfect virus scan but it gave me the idea. What if used 2 or 3 in series as a form of layered packet inspection? So far i've seen no latency added with clamAV. any thoughts?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    When I scan client systems for viruses and malware, I use 3 Linux-based AV programs - ClamAV, f-prot, and mcafee. They each find stuff the others missed, and each have false-positives. In any case, this method has allowed me to ALWAYS find and clean this cruft off of my clients' systems. I assume you are referring to a Windows computer? If it is a Linux system, then there are other tools that can find rootkits and such.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!