Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By UgoDeschamps
  • 1 Post By XavierSAO
  • 1 Post By MADDOXX32
OK, I ended up with an old IBM AS400 sever box, and was wondering if linux had a way to access this, or even run the whole thing. I've never ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

AS400 on linux

OK, I ended up with an old IBM AS400 sever box, and was wondering if linux had a way to access this, or even run the whole thing. I've never messed with setting up an AS400, and the extent of my knowledge was doing minor SQL querries on the one we had at school. This one has no display, or a place to plug keyboard/mouse. We basically just want it for mass storage. Is it not worth the effort?

Linux Engineer
    yikes... well... it's definetly worth a try if you wanna learn!

what model is it.. since there a few, can you post the current model of your box...

Thanks
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    all I can find on it is AS/400e series. It seems fairly modern, possibly runnin 2K. I'm willing to learn what it takes to make it work! I have a decent knowledge of TCP/IP, but weak on command line, especially in MS-DOS.( and thanks to the guys that made linux what it is, such a nice command line, and so much more versitile)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Heres the list of the actual system under the AS400 name

IBM AS/400 iSeries Models 270, 820, 830
    IBM AS/400 iSeries Models 170, 720, 730, 740
    IBM AS/400 iSeries Models S10, S20, S30, S40
    IBM AS/400 9406 Models 600, 620, 640, 650
    IBM AS/400 9406 Models 50S, 53S, 500, 510, 530
    IBM AS/400 9402 Models 40S, 400

is it possible that anything is written on it to give us a little more info...
    johnland likes this.
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    OK, sorry about that, I'm still remote to the box, and working sorta blind.

IBM AS/400 9401 Models 150

He looked al little harder and found this. Not worried about the data present now. It seems like it would be a great mass storage device tho.SCSI chains and such. I know enough to know I'm gonna need more info!!

Linux Engineer
    Damn this could be a cool thing... I found this for you... in case your interested...
    http://dhart.no-ip.info/iseries/AS40...odel%20150.htm

installing and running on this, would be the perfect file server!!
    As for the no input... are you 100% sure about it?
    without any way to "input" something, installing could be a chalenge

Hit back if you need more information

Just Joined!
    This should keep me busy for a few days resaerching the machine, and coming up to speed on termonology. I'm sure I'll have a few more questions when I get to the implementation phase.

No traditional AT or PS/2 ports, but I may be able to get a USB adapter in it, and use that for a workaround.

RISC64 CPU's, cool

Thanks for the info so far.
    johnland likes this.

Just Joined!

As 400 operating system os downloads.

I adopted an old as 400 from ibm headquarders in rochester mn. And they gave me the software and manuals and units.

They use a box that has keyboard, video, printer and ethernet connections. It links to the as/400 unit via a cable called. Twin x connection. The software links are here in iso format for the as/400 version 4.0

type 9402-2xx an as/400 server box not far from what you described.

If you want the software download links contact me at digital.insanity8 via gmail and i will send them. No cost just to help.
    johnland likes this.