Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello friends, sorry for my poor English. I come from a long-standing problem I can not solve, and I need your help .. I have a server with Bind DNS ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[Help] Problem Server DNS and Hostnames

Hello friends, sorry for my poor English. I come from a long-standing problem I can not solve, and I need your help .. I have a server with Bind DNS with Zentyal administer it. The problem I came for a while, is that when configuring a Samba + LDAP client I can login from other servers by IP but not by hostname. For example if the server is called "ServidorITS" and your IP is "192.168.0.33" I can access its IP, but I can access the full name: ServidorITS.midominio.com but not by hostname. Even when I do an nslookup IP to me works ok, but when I do it tells me NXDOMAIN Hostname. Someone can give me a hand? It's really appreciate it!

Greetings!

srj
    Hello,

Can you please be more specific with your request? Are you trying to access the mentioned server (ex:192.168.0.33) with ServidorITS without the full domain name in the internal network?

Please show us your zone file or generate an example similar to it.

**I'm no expert with BIND DNS Server but I'll try to help with whatever I can.

Cheers,
    Srj

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by srj View Post
    Hello,

Can you please be more specific with your request? Are you trying to access the mentioned server (ex:192.168.0.33) with ServidorITS without the full domain name in the internal network?

Please show us your zone file or generate an example similar to it.

**I'm no expert with BIND DNS Server but I'll try to help with whatever I can.

Cheers,
    Srj
    Attached is an example of my zone file .. Thank you very much for the prompt reply!

Greetings!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    • File Type: txt db.txt (530 Bytes, 11 views)

DNS does not do short name, I say again DOES NOT DO SHORT NAMES.
    Do a google serach on setting up short names on the system you require this on.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted