Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Well stated, but... Most ISP's are either blocking or starting to block ports ranges 1-1024. The reason for this is because you signed up as a private user and as ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Well stated, but...
    Most ISP's are either blocking or starting to block ports ranges 1-1024. The reason for this is because you signed up as a private user and as a private user you should not be running any services and if you want to run services then you should be paying the higher price for your usage. I am sure if you look at your contract it might even state that you are only allowed to connect 1 PC to the internet also.
    My usage is minimal and the modem/router has 4 ports. I was just trying to get a 150MB file to my buddy without slicing it into 15 pieces, spending all day emailing and clogging smtp servers, just so he can stitch them back together only to find one chunk got rotten in transit. He lives in another city.

And running services is not a privilege. It's a right. And it's how the internet came to be. Remember Bulletin Boards and Usenet?

You are only paying to utilize the connection you do not own it. Same as the software you use on your computer. You are paying for the right to use it it is not yours and someone else owns it. As is the with GNU software. You don't own it but you are normally given the right to do with it as you see fit.
    But that's like saying I'm only paying for the right to use my house. The guys who cut the lumber actually own it. They did their job and went home to their houses.

I take it you run this scan locally and not from the outside.
    No no. This was that website recommended earlier that made me all paranoid.

This is a standard answer to which 99% of the users would agree to as they do not have a clue what they are doing or how to protect themselves.
    Yes, indeed. I could tell by the perfect spelling. It was a Live Chat session from their website.

Example I will use is SSH. SSH normally listens on port 22 but we know that is blocked so we need to change that port to something over 1024, so lets chose 22022. Now you need to configure SSH to listen on that port
    Yes. I tried that. It's my belief that my modem/router filters _types_ of packets, not just the ports. Some types get through, and other types don't. I've been bouncing packets around here all week.

And thank you for the example, others will surely appreciate it. Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Miven View Post
    Well stated, but...

And running services is not a privilege. It's a right. And it's how the internet came to be. Remember Bulletin Boards and Usenet?
    I remember BBS and Usenet very well, I come from that era. That was 100%, or close to it, all user run. The internet is mostly, if not 100%, commercial run today.

But that's like saying I'm only paying for the right to use my house. The guys who cut the lumber actually own it. They did their job and went home to their houses.
    That is not what I am saying at all. Unlike the wood cutters who cut the wood once, the ISP is continuously supplying you access to the internet and that is what you are paying for. You want to mix the two when you cannot when you speak of it as a service. The wood is cut once and you pay for it once.
    MikeTbob likes this.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

I agree with Lazy Dog, it's more than likely that it's in your TOS/Contract with your ISP, especially if you live in the USA. They bury it so deep in the fine print with 2 point fonts so that most users never even know what they just signed. This has been standard operating procedure for several years now. It sucks but it's just something we have to deal with....or get a real ISP that doesn't restrict the things you want or need.
    Couldn't you just burn a CD/DVD/USB stick and mail that to your friend?
    There are some file hosting sites that you can use to share files....but they are getting harder to find each day.
    Upload the file to Google file storage or something and give your friend the password so he can access the file and don't forget to reset said password also.
    Google File Storage
    Free: that provides you as much as 5GB data storage
    Premium: This offers you from 25GB to 16TB online data storage on per month rental
    Also, check with your ISP but my family's plan is allotted XX amount of "Webpage" space. If you have that then you can upload the file there for a short time. Just some ideas, maybe they will spark you to something more inventive.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux User
    Yes, I was a bit hasty saying that.

Internet is service I pay for much like electricity. But I still claim that my ISP can't tell what or what not to do with it, much like my Electrical Provider cannot tell me that I'm not allowed to put out Christmas lights in December or run a fan on a hot day in July.

I do realize that most *Doze boxes shouldn't be on the 'net at all, let alone running IIS or whatever passes for httpd these days in that realm, so I understand that my ISP would close some ports by default. But they should open them up for a specific customer by request. Me running FTP server doesn't cost them any more than me not running FTP server. But it is going to cost them when I switch ISPs because they didn't open the ports when I asked.

I found an ISP that actually charges by the Gigabyte and doesn't close ports. I think that's a much better approach than my current one that charges the same exhorbitant fee whether I only check my email once a week, or have continual torrent feeds of HD movies maxxing my connection out 24/7/365.

IMHO Flat fee creates a race condition where everyone wants to get the most usage for their money and so they squander bandwidth and clog up servers with silly blogs that come in at 13 MB per page, all of giant hi-res pictures of their cat and favorite shoes.

I don't think it's just me when I say that, in my observation, the internet has actually slowed down noticably in the last few years. Google used to load in 1 second. Now it's 15-30 seconds.

I've seen pages that have 4MB of ads, and 1 little content-free paragraph that promises the info you were looking for, but has a link that takes you to another page just like it. I used to be amazed by the internet. Now I find myself mostly appalled by the stupidity and wastefulness.

Everybody is trying to make money from it, when it was never designed to make money. It was a communally run service that connected clever uber-geeks all over the planet.

Linux Engineer
    Well, start your own ISP then.

Oh, you don't have a billion dollars to set it up? Well, then. I guess you're SOL.

Linux User
    Yep. Almost SOL. But like I say I found another local ISP that works by the old rules, and seems to want my business. I feel better about giving my money to the little guy who cares than the huge mega-corp who doesn't care at all.

Peace and Cheer. And Seasons Greetings.

The dialog around here is clever and friendly. I know we don't always see eye to eye, but, hey, that's the fun of it. I always like a good animated discussion. Thank you.

I am glad you are enjoying yourself here. Happy holidays to you and yours.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Linux User
    Yes. Thank you. And Merry Christmas. Much love to to you and yours.

awc
    Miven,

So what about your port blockage problems? Are you just gonna cut your losses?

Linux User
    Yes. For the amount of bandwidth I use, I'm paying way too much right now. I think I'll try out some options.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast