Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree1Likes
Uverse has all ports but 25 open. For $50.00 they will open it for you. It used to be free and then they started charging 25 and now its 50. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Uverse has all ports but 25 open. For $50.00 they will open it for you. It used to be free and then they started charging 25 and now its 50. So far everything else is open and they dont seem to have a problem with me running my 2 servers on the static ips. I even have RDNS configured on their side all though its a real bi*ch to get a hold of anyone there that knows how to do anything.

Linux Enthusiast
    Just before Christmas, I found an independent company (Urban Networks) that supplies ADSL service to my area, but a couple months later when I dropped Telus and contacted UN for service, they had discovered that they weren't actually allowed to use the fiber optic lines in my area, so they had to discontinue doing it. They were cheap too. Bummer.

So I decided to go with Shaw cable, but after 3 techs over 3 weeks, they determined that the cable line to my apartment is severed, 22.5 feet from my outlet, and 87 feet from the electrical room. That would put the break in the bedroom, or the hallway, or the upstairs apartment, or the basement parkade. Anyway, after 3 visits, I was told it would be referred to the tech's supervisor, and that was a month ago. I never heard back.

So after 2 months without internet, I decided to go back to Telus and their slow conections and blocked ports. Until I move, it's the only option I have.

Anyway, I'm back online, and glad to be back on Linux Forums.

That blows big time!

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Do they have satellite internet available in your area?

Quote Originally Posted by Lazydog View Post
    That blows big time!
    Yep.

The following doesnt help, but just to give some perspective on what is possible:
    I was sent to estonia for 6 months.
    And the people there have a right to be online. Guaranteed by law, because the governmental offices are reachable online.
    Background is, that internet technologies and eGovernment are defining assets for this country.

So it is common to find open and unprotected wifi spots in public places like e.g. restaurants or cinemas. (Yes, you need to take care of encrypting your sensitive traffic yourself)

Even if there is no wifi, you can easily be online.
    I paid 3 euros for a sim valid for 5 months or 50Gbyte.
    No contract, no id, no waiting.
    Pay 3 euros, have internet.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by slw210 View Post
    Do they have satellite internet available in your area?
    I'm sure we do, but I have a north facing apartment, and, as far as I know, satellite dishes need to point southeast. I'm on the ground floor also, and there's too much stuff in the way for a dish. It'd probably get stolen if I tried mounting it somewhere. Or my property manager would complain.

I tried out my wifi laptop: there's at least 17 wifi routers (mostly Telus) in my vicinity (dense urban) and they're all key protected except the Cisco router Happy Monkey, and that needs a password. It also ignores you after 5 failed attempts. I tried.

We have plenty of wifi hotspots around, but I have to take my laptop somewhere and drink expensive coffee to do it, or sit on the sidewalk like some weirdo. Didn't try it.

The local public library has free internet, but you cannot collect email through their server. Odd. I have no idea why they adopted that policy. Kinda makes it a bit useless. Even for job hunting.

All in all, it makes me think of the Peter Principle or something like it. Things keeps getting upgraded/promoted until they are completely useless and/or incompetent.

On the plus side, I have both my feet, both my hands, a wife who I adore, and some other people in my life who I love and they love me back. Six of one, half a dozen of the other, as they say.

Peace and Cheer.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3