Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a SAN whose partitions are mounted on the servers (running on Windows OS) using HBA card having fiber connectivity. These servers are connected to LAN. I have another ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mounting Windows Partition in Linux

I have a SAN whose partitions are mounted on the servers (running on Windows OS) using HBA card having fiber connectivity. These servers are connected to LAN. I have another server on LAN to which I want to have this partition available but do not have the fiber connectivity.

Can I do it the other way round by mounting the SAN partition on windows server; sharing it and then mounting it on linux. The windows server is a part of ADS. How do I exactly go for it?

You will need samba. Samba is a special software that allows linux systems to interact with windows servers. Depending on your linux server distribution you may already have an applet o menu option that says something like "connect to server", if you don't, here is a guide that might help you:

The Official Samba 3.5.x HOWTO and Reference Guide

Good luck

Just Joined!
    Thanks a lot!!!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Windows network shares use what is called CIFS (Common Internet File System), which is a more current version of Samba (as per the other replies). To mount a windows share on Linux, you would do something like thins:
    Code:
    sudo mount -t cifs share-ip/dir mount-point -o options
    where share-ip/dir would be the IP address + share directory from Windows, and mount-point would be the local directory where you want to find that data. Example:
    Code:
    sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.1.10/sharedir /mnt/sharedir -o user=myname,password=mypassword,uid=myname,gid=mygroup
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Thanks Rubberman....that's what I have been looking for.
    Many many thanks....it worked great for me!