Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hi, my ftp works smooth now with vsftpd but now all uploaded files are owned by that user who uploaded them while I want to have rights over all those ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

uploaded file permissions

hi,

my ftp works smooth now with vsftpd but now all uploaded files are owned by that user who uploaded them while I want to have rights over all those files through my network...cause all my workstations need to access those uploaded files...

how do I achieve that all uploaded files have full permissions for all my workstations?

thnx,
    davy

Linux Engineer
    you could give ownership rights the the group instead of the user...
    Code:
    chgrp
    read the manual for for instruction...
    Code:
    man chgrp
    Hit back if you need more information
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    well, so it means I have to create a group with all users in it who need to access those uploaded files?
    and then I give full rights to that group of those uploaded files?

so whenever somebody uploads a file, its property of that group right?

Linux Engineer
    You bet

theyre's also something else, but im not really sure it would work... and it would be to change the umask of the folder where everyones drop they're file... "umask 777" would give everyone access to a newly created file...

The reason Im saying im not sure, is that it's been a little while I havent played with this and I dont know if this would inherits the umask right for a folder... ex: the folder you'ld take the owner's rights...

You get my point?

anyway you want it,
    You could create multiple group, so that admin can access everyones files, simple user could access only other simple users file...

Hope this helps
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    hmmmz,
    no luck, I changed it to the group but still when that user uploads a file its still property only of that user not the group...
    I also tried the umask in vsftpd.conf to 777 but no luck either...
    any idea?
    davy

Linux Engineer
    well ok you've created a group... you've set the ownership of the folder to the group... did you include your user in that group?

Just Joined!
    yes, the user 'x' is part of group 'users' and the folder user 'x' uploads to is owned by user 'x' and the group 'users'
    but I cannot do anything in that folder only user 'x'

I think I am missing something simple but what?

Just Joined!
    is it correct that the ftp client uploading files will set the permissions cause when he changes it to access for group as well it works...
    is it not possible any file uploaded to that folder would have all permissions for user and group?

Linux Engineer
    I dont know if its my or your english that makes it difficult to understand cant you speculated in a different form please I dont really understand what you meen

Just Joined!
    well
    trying to explain it easily,

- I have a folder 'map' where a user 'x' will upload a file
    - the folder 'map' is owned by group 'users'
    - the user 'x' is a member of group 'users'
    - user 'x' will upload a file into folder 'map'
    - that uploaded file will be property of user 'x' so nobody else can do something with the file eventhough its uploaded in folder 'map' which is owned by group 'users'

I dont understand this since that folder 'map' is owned by group 'users' and I thought that anybody who is member of that group could do whatever he wants with all files in that folder...

now it appears that every file uploaded gets ONLY permissions for the user 'x' and sets permissions for group and others to NONE, thats why its locked for only user 'x'...

now thats the problem, every uploaded file should get full permissions for user and group,

hope you understand what the problem is...

thnx for your help so far
    davy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast