Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello We want to backup our postgreSQL database. But if we use pg_dump we've got problems with the restore when we work with different versions. the problem is cause by ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question backup postgreSQL - postGIS

Hello

We want to backup our postgreSQL database.
    But if we use pg_dump we've got problems with the restore when we work with different versions.
    the problem is cause by the functions the don't exist anymore or change in the other version.
    On the internet i found something like pg_dump without functions or a special perl script to filter these out.
    Do some of you have some experience with this? Because i can't test these methods for the moment?
    Or maybe someone with an other solution for this problem?

Thank you

I would have thought the ideal solution would be to ensure that your restore machine is running the same versions as the machine where the backup is made.
    This means the same version of postgres, and the same version of whatever program you are using to manipulate the data on the frontend.
    pg_dump is a standard postgres command. I don't know of any special without-functions dump. The functions surely exist in the frontend, not the backend. The postgres dump file is just columns and rows of data, no functions.

Linux Enthusiast
    Look at the "--format=plain" option to pg_dump which writes simple SQL