Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I'd like to set up a telnet server on the internet with a slow response like on the old terminals from the 80's with baud rate 300/600/1200 . ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Telnet in slow motion

Hi all,

I'd like to set up a telnet server on the internet with a slow response like on the old terminals from the 80's with baud rate 300/600/1200 .
    I tried bandwidth throttling but I get chunks of data (1 kb) instead of smooth byte at a time response.

any ideas?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You will need to modify the source code of the telnet server. Since it is open source, this should not be a major problem, provided you have the requisite programming skills. IE, you will need to add an appropriate inter-character delay as you receive data from the remote client. This is non-standard, hence you will need to roll your own server. I have written telnet servers and clients in the past (from scratch, using the DDN Whitebook RFCs), so I know what you need to do, but I don't know of any non-programming way to do that, unless you can find a suitably modified and configurable telnet server.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!