Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm setting up a Samba server and up to this moment I can share several folders and I can secure them with the smbpasswd users. Now I've read stuff ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Samba as PDC

Hi,

I'm setting up a Samba server and up to this moment I can share several folders and I can secure them with the smbpasswd users. Now I've read stuff about automatic logon scripts on the Windows client. But, how does this work? Do they automatically login with the Windows user or do I still have to make users on the server?

Now I've found a good tutorial but there are still some problems. I follow this tutorial: www(dot)golinuxhub(dot)com/2012/08/samba-3-as-pdc.html

Now, I did everything, even copied all his commands and settings in the smb.conf document but I can't seem to connect to the domain on my client.

This is my setup:
    Server: opensuse 12.3
    IP: 10.3.3.14

Client: windows 8
    IP: 10.3.3.25

When I connect to the domain 'EXAMPLE' as it is written in the smb.conf, I get a login screen, type in 'user1' + password and it gives me the following error:

The following error occurred attempting to join the domain "EXAMPLE":
    The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.

Is this a problem with my samba config or is it an IP issue? I can ping between the 2 machines.

Can anyone help me with this?
    Thanks

Linux Guru
    A) Yes, you have a name resolution problem when you see "domain could not be contacted".....OR Win8 is not compatible with your PDC, which relates to the next point....

B) Samba3 has only the ability to emulate an older-style NT4 domain controller. Notice the article used a WinXP client (~2002) which was still able to talk to older domains.

C) Unless you have a Win8 version that supports joining a domain, this would not work. IE, Win8 "Home" is not meant for business use and cannot join a domain.

D) IF you have a Win8 version that supports being joined to Active Directory, you will probably want to look at Samba4. This latest version supports operation as an actual AD domain controller.

Just Joined!

Check your firewall and selinux on suse

Quote Originally Posted by flexxzor View Post
    Hi,

I'm setting up a Samba server and up to this moment I can share several folders and I can secure them with the smbpasswd users. Now I've read stuff about automatic logon scripts on the Windows client. But, how does this work? Do they automatically login with the Windows user or do I still have to make users on the server?

Now I've found a good tutorial but there are still some problems. I follow this tutorial: www(dot)golinuxhub(dot)com/2012/08/samba-3-as-pdc.html

Now, I did everything, even copied all his commands and settings in the smb.conf document but I can't seem to connect to the domain on my client.

This is my setup:
    Server: opensuse 12.3
    IP: 10.3.3.14

Client: windows 8
    IP: 10.3.3.25

When I connect to the domain 'EXAMPLE' as it is written in the smb.conf, I get a login screen, type in 'user1' + password and it gives me the following error:

The following error occurred attempting to join the domain "EXAMPLE":
    The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.

Is this a problem with my samba config or is it an IP issue? I can ping between the 2 machines.

Can anyone help me with this?
    Thanks

Have you checked your firewall and selinux as in the same website I had said to do the same. As in my case I had disabled both.

Please try and let me know if the issue still persists