Find the answer to your Linux question:
I would like to run a mail server for my own needs. I want to make sure that every outgoing and incoming message gets highly encrypted on every step so ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

The most secure mail server software?

I would like to run a mail server for my own needs. I want to make sure that every outgoing and incoming message gets highly encrypted on every step so that nobody can have access to that data, including the ISP. Basically, I'm looking for the level of security one would expect from the Secret Service or Julian Assange of Wikileaks. What are the options? What is the best solution?

How do you see this working? For encrypted email you need an entry point and an exit point.
    <Email>--<encrypt>--<server>----<server>--<decrypt>--<Email>

If you encrypt your mail you need something on the other end that can decrypt it.

Encrypt your email when you write it is the best and ensure the person you are sending to has a valid key to decrypt..

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Just Joined!
    The GPG way surely works, but I would hope it's possible for ANY sender (including those I don't know, those who don't care about privacy) to securely deliver me a message, without anyone capturing it on the way.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    The GPG way surely works, but I would hope it's possible for ANY sender (including those I don't know, those who don't care about privacy) to securely deliver me a message, without anyone capturing it on the way.
    Nope, that's not how the internet works. Unless you take special steps, you are under constant monitoring by your ISP and any places on the web you visit. Unless the e-mail sender is taking specific steps OR the sender is securely connecting directly to your system (such that the mail stays locally on your system), it is plaintext data that can be read by any system it's passed through.

highly encrypted
    There is encrypted and not encrypted...I am not sure what 'highly encrypted' means to you.

The thing about encryption is you need keys both to encrypt and to decrypt. This means that both parties have to agree on the keys that are going to be used for this process. There presently isn't any way around this except both parties logging into the same system and reading/writing email.

Regards
    Robert

Linux

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Just Joined!
    How often is encryption used with sendmail servers?

I do not know, but I would venture to say never as you never know who you server is sending to.

Regards
    Robert

Linux

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Just Joined!
    lol..yeah that would make it difficult.