Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am looking at using LTSP for connecting remotely to a virtual machine server. Although i am unsure of a few things in relation to the setup type i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

LTSP and VM's for Remote Login

Hi,
    I am looking at using LTSP for connecting remotely to a virtual machine server.
    Although i am unsure of a few things in relation to the setup type i implement.

1. I have been reading about the various configurations of people running LTSP and a Virtual Machine Server; and have identified 2 configurations which i am considering:
    a. Hosting a LTSP server within a VM, as well as having all the other VMs.
    b. Setting up the LTSP server and then running the VM software with the desired VMs.
    *Note: My dilemma here is that a. sounds very convoluted and inefficient. Effectively for method "a" the client is doing the following: Thin-Client PC --> Server --> LTSP Server VM --> desired VM. While method "b" has 2 less steps to reach the same outcome, and unless i am mistaken but resource usage would be the same as "a" would always have a +1 to "b". Thus, the only advantage i see in method "a" is where the host is running a minimal Windows/ Linux desktop & Terminal service and the VM is running the opposite, so that the client has access to the apps from both.*

2. Is there any advantage of using LTSP over RDP like what VirtualBox has built in other than having to port forward for each VM used?

3. The last issue i am facing is if i hypothetically take for example option "b" from my first question than people have run into the problem of huge resource requirements if using VirtualBox (my logical first choice), which leaves the question which open-source Virtual Machine software would be optimal to use in that situation?

I hope that made sense
    Regards,
    SL6-A1000

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Why not use ssh with an RSA public/private key pair? That is pretty easy to set up, and gives a good level of security in that you can force the party connecting to the VM to use both the key AND a userid/password. I do that with VirtualBox, VMware, and Amazon EC2 virtual machines all the time.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!