Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hellooo I am developing a small semi-mobile server, which I will be able to bring with me and use without problems wherever am I (I travel a lot for work). ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Best web server for small devices

Hellooo

I am developing a small semi-mobile server, which I will be able to bring with me and use without problems wherever am I (I travel a lot for work).

For the hardware, I decided to buy a Foxbox G25, mainly because it also integrates a GSM modem. This product comes with Debian already installed, and this is fine, but as a default web server there is Lighttpd.

Knowing that it has just 400 Mhz of processor and 256 MB of ram, could I install safely Apache? And if not, is there a better alternative? I really don't like Lighttpd.

For any information about the hardware I bought, this is the product page: tinyurl.com/nxlw9bx

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    nginx or cherokee maybe?
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

I have a Raspberry Pi model B with 256MB memory (i.e. the older one) - it runs Pidora and I have Apache installed with mod_security, and a full install of php. I only use it for testing at the moment, but it seems to run absolutely fine. I've not really pushed it very hard, but it runs as a proper server in headless mode and no GUI login, but it seems to be doing a fantastic job.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    I have used lighttpd aka 'lighty' with good results on small servers in the past. I just re-read your initial post and see you don't like lighty.

Are there specific requirements you have that it does not meet?

Just Joined!
    +1 for nginx

But I think even apache would work if there aren't too many modules in use, or very much traffic.

Just Joined!
    Axis network cameras, which also use a processor in the same performance ballpark, use boa for the web server, which I believe was originally selected because of its lighter footprint than apache.

Quote Originally Posted by bench15 View Post
    Knowing that it has just 400 Mhz of processor and 256 MB of ram, could I install safely Apache?
    My backup web server is an ancient laptop with a 400 Mhz Pentium M processor and 192 MB of ram. It has a plain Debian Wheezy install with stock Apache, postgresql installed. It works fine. RAM usage is:

Code:
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           185        163         21          0         26         87
    -/+ buffers/cache:         50        134
    Swap:          964          0        964
    Basically, that means that 50 MB is used by software; the rest is available (but not entirely used) for file system cache and buffers.

I say, just do an apache install unless you specifically want to learn another web server.

(BTW, this "backup" web server was my main web server up until about a week ago. My awesome new web server has a 433 Mhz processor and 256 megs of RAM.)
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by IsaacKuo View Post
    I say, just do an apache install unless you specifically want to learn another web server.
    You catched the point!
    Anyway it seems that also nginx could be interesting, thus maybe I will take a deeper look on it.

I am going to give a look to Raspberry Pi model B too, as suggested by Roxoff, even if it doesn't integrate the GSM modem. Ok I'd surely be able to connect it externally via USB), but on the other hand also the SMS management (already developed in FoxBox) will be missing.

Quote Originally Posted by bench15 View Post
    You catched the point!
    Anyway it seems that also nginx could be interesting, thus maybe I will take a deeper look on it.

I am going to give a look to Raspberry Pi model B too, as suggested by Roxoff, even if it doesn't integrate the GSM modem. Ok I'd surely be able to connect it externally via USB), but on the other hand also the SMS management (already developed in FoxBox) will be missing.
    I wasn't necessarily suggesting you did it all on a Pi, I was holding it up as an example because its specs are very similar to the level of system you were telling us you had. That said, if you want a platform to run a very simple and lightweight website, I'd wholeheartedly recommend it. For about 35 quid you can do a lot worse - and it runs < 5watts (5v x 700ma is, in theory, what it needs).
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    It sounds like something that only you and maybe a handful of other folks will be using. If thats the case then any web server should be fine. The main issue with Apache that you would find would be if there is a lot of traffic spinning up child processes. Go with whatever you are most comfortable with and tweak its memory footprint down.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast