Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed Apache 2.4.4 and it seems to run fine overall. But in my error.log I get about 3 of these every hour or so. error.log:[Sat Jun 15 20:57:44.095961 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Track down Apache 2.4 seg fault?

I just installed Apache 2.4.4 and it seems to run fine overall. But in my error.log I get about 3 of these every hour or so.

error.log:[Sat Jun 15 20:57:44.095961 2013] [core:notice] [pid 31400:tid 16384] AH00052: child pid 1971 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)

Can anyone help me track down what causes this? What module? vhost?

Otherwise the server seems to run fine.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Try running it in gdb (the gnu debugger)? To be useful, you may need to build Apache manually with debugging enabled. That way, you can run it in gdb and it will show you where it dumped core. You can also let it run normally, and when it seg faults then you should get a core file that you can load in the debugger and see where it was when it went belly-up.

FWIW, what is the distribution+version of Linux that you are using?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Thanks. So to use gdb I have to enable debugging in Apache 2.4. thats done with --enable-debugger-mode and --enable-log-debug? Just those two compile time options will do it you think?

I'm using an old version of Slackware. Like way back to 2004. But its fine, everything compiles fine and it all works otherwise. The segfaults seem to be random every 15 minutes apart on average.

Do you know what the "tid 16384" in the log means?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    The pid refers to the process (task) id, and tid to the thread id. As for debugging apache, you probably need to build it from source (for c/c++ applications) with the -g compiler option, although for a java like apache is mostly the options you mention are probably ok. I do some java development, but I'd hardly call myself an expert on that - C and C++, a bit more so.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!