Find the answer to your Linux question:
I subscribe to a vpn provider to get through the "bamboo curtain". I would like to know if it is possible to install the vpn software on a home server ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Using a server to share a vpn service?

I subscribe to a vpn provider to get through the "bamboo curtain". I would like to know if it is possible to install the vpn software on a home server that I will set up soon and then share the vpn access by all computers/devices hooked up to the server? I was thinking of connecting the internet cable directly to the computer - do I really need the modem/router if I do this? and then connecting my wifi and cabled network device to the server - let the internet signal go into the computer, pass through the computer and then be distributed by other devices. The objective here is to avoid having to install the vpn software on each device that uses the internet connection, thus saving some room on crowded flash cards and simplifying the task of updating the software when the provider updates it.

Any ideas?

Just Joined!
    Why not put the VPN credentials in the router and let the router connect through the VPN? Much easier imho.

Just Joined!
    I will look into that.