Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Everyone I have just inherited a Linux Virtual Server which is being used to host a few websites through PLESK. I am slowly trying to pick my way through ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Postfix Memory Issues

Hi Everyone

I have just inherited a Linux Virtual Server which is being used to host a few websites through PLESK. I am slowly trying to pick my way through it, so please bear with me.

Previously (within the last month or so) they have had stability issues with the server. The technical support with the hosting provider only covers the infrastructure and not the guest OS. As a goodwill guesture, to stabilize the server, they disabled the Postfix service.

The knock on affect of this is that the PHP mail function has stopped working so none of the contact forms on the websites are working.

Each time I start the Postfix service the server memory redlines for about 5 minutes before crashing. While the service is running I'm not able to execute any other commands without receiving out of memory errors. I can't even stop Postfix. The only way to restore functionality is to reboot the server.

I think that the server is acting as an open relay but I am not 100% sure.

Does anyone have any recommendations so I can restore the email functionality and preserve the server stability?

Thanks in advance

John

Just Joined!
    personally i don't use postfix, i use sendmail, if you think it's an installation/configuration error, go for iredmail, it's a package that will install everything for you