Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have two servers, one with Samba installed and one with stuff on that I want to share with Samba but I don't want to install Samba on it. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Samba: share stuff on another server

Hi,

I have two servers, one with Samba installed and one with stuff on that I want to share with Samba but I don't want to install Samba on it.

So, server1 is the Samba server and wants to share a folder on server2. On the samba share I use:

inherit permissions = yes
    inherit owner = yes
    force group = www-data

If I try to mount the server2 folder with NFS on server1, all the permissions will be screwed up and I haven't found a solution for it.

The reason I don't want Samba on server2 is because server1 already have stuff on it's share and on that share I need a folder that's on server2. I don't want 2 separate Samba shares.

What should I do to accomplish this?
    The permission works fine on the folders that are on server1, but when I try to create stuff in the folder that's mounted with NFS it will create stuff with the owner of the user that's logged in to the Samba share.

Please help, what should I do?

Linux User
    The permission works fine on the folders that are on server1, but when I try to create stuff in the folder that's mounted with NFS it will create stuff with the owner of the user that's logged in to the Samba share.
    What would you have it do otherwise? It seems like logical behavior to me.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Miven View Post
    What would you have it do otherwise? It seems like logical behavior to me.
    Not when using "inherit owner = yes", it works just fine on the rest of the share except in the folder that's over NFS.
    I had to add "no_root_squash" to the NFS export and it worked fine.

Thanks anyway,
    -Patric