Find the answer to your Linux question:
Not sure if this is the correct place to post, but I believe I know what the issue is, I just don't know how to fix it. It all started ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Permissions issue involving FTP, Apache and Joomla!

Not sure if this is the correct place to post, but I believe I know what the issue is, I just don't know how to fix it.

It all started with an error from Joomla! saying that the path didn't exist. I checked and concluded that it did indeed exist. However, I believe it's ownership is the FTP user and not the Apache user. Is there a command to change the ownership?

Thanks.

Linux Guru
    Path to what, your Apache server files? If so, the owner should be apache on most but not all distributions (you don't mention which Linux you are using?).
    The command to change owner is coincidentally, chown. If you have a file named stuff to change the owner, login as root user and issue the command to change ownership to bob:

Code:
    chown bob stuff
    To change all files in a directory use the -R option: chown -R bob stuff/ as an example.

Just Joined!
    Sorry - was in a hurry to leave and didn't leave the details.

I'm using Ubuntu 13.04. And the thing is - I didn't have anything in /var/www/ until I moved a bunch of files into it using FTP. My theory is that this caused the FTP user to be the owner and not the Apache/PhP user to be the owner. I've tried chown several times - doesn't change a thing. Any ideas?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I don't use Ubuntu but I believe Ubuntu uses www-data as the user instead of apache. I don't see how copying something using ftp could change the owner:group of your server. You neglected to post the commands you used to chown. Can't tell you what the problem is if we don't know what you did. Do you not have physical access to the server?