Find the answer to your Linux question:
Aahh.....this is my very first post in this forum anyway. Straight to the point, I'm planning to build Logging System for my Network Office. I will use one dedicated supermicro ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How To Build The Logging System with CentOS

Aahh.....this is my very first post in this forum anyway.

Straight to the point,
    I'm planning to build Logging System for my Network Office. I will use one dedicated supermicro server with Centos 6 / or Centos 5 installed. This Server will be functioned to record and save the Log from other server activity.

Is anybody has the typical system implemented? i need suggestion for this.

Thanks....

Trusted Penguin
    hello and welcome, semoetz!

i've moved this thread to the Servers forum, where it will hopefully get more eyes on it.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by semoetz View Post
    I'm planning to build Logging System for my Network Office. I will use one dedicated supermicro server with Centos 6 / or Centos 5 installed. This Server will be functioned to record and save the Log from other server activity.
    Are you talking about the syslog daemon of a Linux machine? if so, you mean the log in /var/log/syslog (for Debian-based systems) or /var/log/messages (for RHEL-based systems), typically. To get that going you'll need to make a config file change on the clients and one or two changes to the central logging server - it is not too involved. Here is a pretty good CentOS-based guide.

Thx for quick reply atreyu...

Yes, that's exactly what i mean, every client machine will report their own syslog to the Central...... (that's guide probably suit me)..

i'll update this thread later....with progress of course.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You would use rsyslog for that - it allows you to log data from any client or other server to a logging server somewhere on your network. We do that in large-scale production clusters (500+ systems). See the man page for rsyslogd.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!