Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By yancek
ok. So the wifey decided she wanted to go into Web Design and is very excited to start learning. I told her that I would build her a Web Server ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Need a quick and dirty Server install

ok. So the wifey decided she wanted to go into Web Design and is very excited to start learning. I told her that I would build her a Web Server that she can work from. I have been wanting to build a web server anyway because my side business is picking up and having a website that lists all my services would be a good idea.

Here is the problem:
    I have tried a few OS's already in an attempt to build a quick webserver: CentOS, PC-BSD, Fedora. They all have one problem: There is no easy way to just get a running webserver out of these things. First you have to install apache, make sure you install PHP at the same time, get MySQL installed, then you need myPHPadmin and other control panels. Then all the configuration... I just don't have the time for that kinda install right now.

Is there a distro out there that is (or can be made to) just a webserver install? Something that is completely configured to be a full fledged webserver out the box? I can go back and do the heavy stuff later. Any ideas?

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    You could use a virtual appliance. These are for Virtualbox
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Just google around for articles on building a LAMP server (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) there are even pre made packages, but best to do it yourself to learn.

Ubuntu Server is quick install and has an option for a LAMP install, but it is a real server no GUI.

Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    Just google around for articles on building a LAMP server (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) there are even pre made packages, but best to do it yourself to learn.

Ubuntu Server is quick install and has an option for a LAMP install, but it is a real server no GUI.
    It's not that I don't know HOW. I have built quite a few servers. I am just strapped for time and being lazy. Was hoping linux/BSD had gotten to the point of one click LAMP installs. I guess not. Well, maybe I can find some time next weekend

Linux Guru
    All you need to do is type in the command shown at the top of the link below. This should work for Mint and most Ubuntu derivatives. Don't see how it could be easier than that.

Install LAMP Server on Ubuntu with a 1-line Command | Sudo JuiceSudo Juice

Using PCLinuxOS, you can do it with two simple commands as explained at the link below:

How to install a webserver through the terminal console on PCLinuxOS
    elija likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlmightyOS View Post
    It's not that I don't know HOW. I have built quite a few servers. I am just strapped for time and being lazy. Was hoping linux/BSD had gotten to the point of one click LAMP installs. I guess not. Well, maybe I can find some time next weekend
    Ubuntu server is almost that simple LAMP server is an install option. If you have a Mac or Winders there are premade MAMP and WAMP install packages.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    All you need to do is type in the command shown at the top of the link below. This should work for Mint and most Ubuntu derivatives. Don't see how it could be easier than that.
    Nice. I had no idea you could do that.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post

Install LAMP Server on Ubuntu with a 1-line Command | Sudo JuiceSudo Juice

Using PCLinuxOS, you can do it with two simple commands as explained at the link below:

How to install a webserver through the terminal console on PCLinuxOS
    That's.... beutiful... And here I had been avoiding Ubuntu and it's clones.

The PCLinuxOS option looks great too. Will test them out on VM and see which one I like better. Thanks for the great info!