Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All Im a reasonably noob to setting up servers, however am learning (crash course) on how best to set up a Linux based server with virtualization. I am in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Server Virtualization Comparisons/best suited

Hi All

Im a reasonably noob to setting up servers, however am learning (crash course) on how best to set up a Linux based server with virtualization.
    I am in the process of trying different VM software and Linux builds at present. (am liking Debian as a the guest web server at present!)

I am now looking at Xen Hypervisor and XenServer, but am finding it difficult to work out what is best for my needs.

I have tried VM ESXi and vSphere vClient and think this would be prefect, however the cost is too much for my needs.
    So i am looking for something similar... if anyone can please help

I like the sound of XenServer as it seems more logical how it is installed/setup on the server without the need for a "base" linux OS as with Xen Hypervisor (which says i need to install Debian on the server first). (i hope i am making sense here....)
    If anyone could offer me their opinions on which would be best (most like vSphere) or correct me if i am worrying about nothing with having a base OS installed.
    (PS my dilemma is being caused by XenServer sounding the best to me, yet the reviews seem to put Xen Hypervisor as the best, but i cant not understand why).

OR if there is a better option still, please do let me know

(i will probably try installing all options and play with each one for a few days to see if it suits me).

Thanks
    Jon

Depends on what you comfortable working in, KVM is very popular but it is mainly a command line tool. If you want a GUI tool then VirtualBox may suit you. I have done KVM on Debian for servers in past and worked fine and used VirtualBox a lot for virtual development servers and testing configuations.

Main Page - KVM