Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have Squid Cache: Version 2.6 stable 21 configured and installed as rpm package. Now we have decided to migrate to squid new version. I have downloaded, compiled(.tar.gz) and installed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

squid 2.6 vs 3.4

I have Squid Cache: Version 2.6 stable 21 configured and installed as rpm package. Now we have decided to migrate to squid new version. I have downloaded, compiled(.tar.gz) and installed Squid Cache: Version 3.4.2 for test purpose.
    Could anyone please let me know what are the advantages of compiling and installing(.tar.gz) over rpm installation. Also the features of squid 3.4.2 over 2.6.21. Thanks in advance.

Linux Engineer
    Source code compiled on your own box can be optimised for your hardware. On the other hand software prepared for your os package manager will have been checked for compatibility and security and be prepared for installation in a manner that is suited to your os and in most cases is preferable.

You might find a feature comparison on the squid website but given the almost 8 years and many version difference between the releases it's unlikely: squid : Optimising Web Delivery