Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a laptop with CentOS 6.3 connected to a USB printer, it prints fine from the laptop. I'd like to print from a Fedora 20 machine TO it. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

What exactly IS CUPS and how do I set it up?

I have a laptop with CentOS 6.3 connected to a USB printer, it prints fine from the laptop. I'd like to print from a Fedora 20 machine TO it. I went to the *KDE* settings, there was nothing in MATE, and tried to set it up. AFter a lot of struggling, I was able to get a textual output from the machine. But what I WANT to do, of course, is to print webpages, PDF files and the like.

So... do I choose LPD, Samba pritning or CUPS? What is the difference between all of these? Will LPD allow only ASCII data to be printed, and not do browser graphics and so forth?

CupS is running on the laptop btw, on port 631, I went to localhost on it and ran the cupsctl command to allow remote printing. Now what?

THanks.

Linux Guru
    CUPS is Common Unix Printing System and was developed by Apple Computers. The tutorial at the link below is for Fedora, you should be able to find a lot of tutorials or instructions for installing CUPS. You should be able to access CUPS in a browser with: h t t p://localhost:631

16.3.*Printer Configuration