Find the answer to your Linux question:
Just wondering if there is any Linux based email server that is comparable to Microsoft exchange? I have been looking at a few options - Zarafa for example, but the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Is there a viable alternative to Microsoft exchange?

Just wondering if there is any Linux based email server that is comparable to Microsoft exchange?

I have been looking at a few options - Zarafa for example, but the thing that strikes me as a potential issue is the fact that most of them operate via the IMAP protocol which I have always found to be not that stable.

Just wondering what other peoples thoughts are on the subject?

Microsoft's IMAP has been unstable, I've had no issues with other IMAP's.

Why don't you list the features you looking for it will help others offer suggestions.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    Microsoft's IMAP has been unstable, I've had no issues with other IMAP's.

Why don't you list the features you looking for it will help others offer suggestions.
    I was sort of wondering that actually, I wasnt sure if it was the protocol at fault or microsoft

OK, features I am after:

Syncronisation of email, calendars and contacts across devices - computer, iphone etc.
    shared mailboxes.
    centralised backup and restore capability.
    out of office.

They aren't all necessities but basically I want functionality near to exchange as possible - in terms of centralised management and user experience.

I'm planning to operate it in a totally linux based environemnt - linux client OS and a linux based email client - not sure which one either at the moment.

Its really just stemmed from the fact that we have been building a linux domain controller in our lab, and wondered if it would be feasible to build a completely open source equivalent to a typical Microsoft small business environment, that we could deliver in a VDI scenario.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

I've been involve in a few projects like this at enterprises I've worked at, most the time after looking at alternatives to existing systems the cost, transitition time, and etc never seems worth it so we stayed with out existing system be it sendmail or exchange or others. I one product that popped up a few times for a complete solutions was Zimbra.

https://www.zimbra.com/

Just Joined!
    thanks guys, Im comparing all 4 of those now.

What about clients to replace office? I'm looking at Libre office which sounds quite good, anyone have experience with that?

Linux Guru
    I've use Libre and use Apache OpenOffice now. The Apache version is a fork of the same software. I'm not sure but Apache OpenOffice seems to be benefitting from the excellent organization and experience of the Apache team. In any event, I find both forks to be good and would recommend them. As for an IMAP client I use Evolution and have been happy with it.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregm View Post
    I've use Libre and use Apache OpenOffice now. The Apache version is a fork of the same software. I'm not sure but Apache OpenOffice seems to be benefitting from the excellent organization and experience of the Apache team. In any event, I find both forks to be good and would recommend them. As for an IMAP client I use Evolution and have been happy with it.
    OK Ill look into openoffice - does that have an email client? As I notice Libre office doesn't seem to come with one?

As for email suite, I like the look of Mailsuite Pro but I am still looking into all of them.

And lastly, waht about OS, not sure what linux variant is most stable as an OS??

Also, does anyone do this already? I know its really difficult not to use MS these days, but I just thought it would be really good if you could have a viable open source platform (Form servers through to desktops), I would love to see a case study on companies that already operate that way...