Find the answer to your Linux question:
What is the best way to set up a DNS? I have installed BIND9 but I'm new to setting up servers. I have created users with passwords. The server is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Set up a DNS (Bind9? - <200 users - school LAN)

What is the best way to set up a DNS? I have installed BIND9 but I'm new to setting up servers. I have created users with passwords. The server is running Ubantu 13.10. I is sharing files (using SAMBA) but I don't yet have individual users limited to only changing their own files. Hence the need for a Domain Name Service so users on PCs can login from any PC workstation in the school. In total there should be no more than about 200 users on the school LAN. Is BIND9 the best DNS for my situation? Any other suggestions?

Just Joined!
    Bind9 works fine... Used it before in my ISP company... Had no issues with it...

Just Joined!
    Hi kanelbolle,
    Thanks for commenting on your experience with BIND9. It sounds like a good way to go. When I setup SAMBA, it came with a config file with a lot of comments and useful lines of text "commented out" so I just removed the \\ or ; to use those lines. My BIND9 config file is blank. Do you know where to get a config file "template" like that for BIND9?

Just Joined!
    just google
    bind9 sample configuration

you will get
    BIND9ServerHowto - Community Help Wiki

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayPeterson View Post
    What is the best way to set up a DNS? I have installed BIND9 but I'm new to setting up servers. I have created users with passwords. The server is running Ubantu 13.10. I is sharing files (using SAMBA) but I don't yet have individual users limited to only changing their own files. Hence the need for a Domain Name Service so users on PCs can login from any PC workstation in the school. In total there should be no more than about 200 users on the school LAN. Is BIND9 the best DNS for my situation? Any other suggestions?
    What you're looking for is a directory service, not a DNS service. DNS (Domain Name System) merely translates domain names to IP addresses. In Microsoft Active Directory, DNS is updated automatically when you join a computer to the domain (aka, directory).

Some possible central authentication / directory services for linux include:
    Samba (Supports DNS)
    OpenLDAP
    FreeIPA (Supports DNS management as well)
    Apache Directory

The ones I listed that I didn't say "Supports DNS" may or may not support DNS integration, I don't know.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
    What you're looking for is a directory service, not a DNS service. DNS (Domain Name System) merely translates domain names to IP addresses. In Microsoft Active Directory, DNS is updated automatically when you join a computer to the domain (aka, directory).

Some possible central authentication / directory services for linux include:
    Samba (Supports DNS)
    OpenLDAP
    FreeIPA (Supports DNS management as well)
    Apache Directory

The ones I listed that I didn't say "Supports DNS" may or may not support DNS integration, I don't know.
    I Have SAMBA running to share files with MSWindows computers. I have set up usernames and passwords for both UBANTU and SAMBA

I have tried modifying the sbm.conf file but I haven't got things quite right yet.

How should I edit the smb.conf file so when I login I have read/write access to all the shared files but each other user can read all the files but can only write to files in their own directory. (I have created directories for each user from my laptop PC) What is the relationship between where PC Workstations see the folders and files and where UBANTU sees the folders and files?

What is a good command to show all the directory structures in UBANTU?

How do I set up SAMBA so PC workstations can logon to the local domain?

Linux Engineer
    Here's how to setup Samba as a domain controller: https://help.ubuntu.com/13.10/serverguide/samba-dc.html

To setup the shares, give the owner write access, and give the group of all users (whatever that may be in your domain) read access.