Find the answer to your Linux question:
If I'm hosting, eg. a MySQL db, and it fills up the HD, how do I add another server seamlessly? i.e. make sure the data spreads across more than 1 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

What happens if a hard disk runs out?

If I'm hosting, eg. a MySQL db, and it fills up the HD, how do I add another server seamlessly? i.e. make sure the data spreads across more than 1 HD?

Thanks.

Linux Guru
    If you are using the inno_db engine it is as simple as adding another directory path to the variable innodb_data_file_path in you config file (and restarting the db).

But be careful.
    For the ibdata file on the current harddisk you should set a maximum size (so it wont grow beyond that)
    However, if that file is currently set to autoextend, then I am not entirely sure how mysql reacts to that attribute change.

aka: Be sure your backup and restore works
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by gregm View Post
    If you are using the inno_db engine it is as simple as adding another directory path to the variable innodb_data_file_path in you config file (and restarting the db).

So.... it could be storing a particular record, half on one disk and half on another...? My Gosh, that's ULTRA cool! How does it do it? Is this kind of thing similar to LVM?

Btw, has there been any improvement to this type of thing (feature I mean) since MySQL went MariaDB?

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by Irithori View Post
    But be careful.
    For the ibdata file on the current harddisk you should set a maximum size (so it wont grow beyond that)
    However, if that file is currently set to autoextend, then I am not entirely sure how mysql reacts to that attribute change.

aka: Be sure your backup and restore works
    What do you mean "it wont grow beyond that"? If there are more people signing up to my site, do you want me to tell them to go away?

What is an "ibdata" file btw?

Quote Originally Posted by gregm View Post
    After being told you're now the DBA at my last gig, I liked a lot with MySQL was moving data to larger drives was so easy create the space, backup the config, mod the config, copy the files and stop and restart the DB. Plus there is so much MySQL documentation online. By time I left the gig had clustered MySQL databases running.