Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi there. I am picking up a Super Server 5013C-T/i with a single P4 CPU, 2gb of memory, and 2x 80gb drives. The only Linux distro's I have used is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux Newby

Hi there. I am picking up a Super Server 5013C-T/i with a single P4 CPU, 2gb of memory, and 2x 80gb drives. The only Linux distro's I have used is Ubuntu and Mint desktop versions. I have never installed or used a server edition of Linux. I was hoping to use Windows Server 2008 R2 or 2012 but this 1u server is a bit too slow so I think a Linux server might be a better fit. I am looking for suggestions on what distro I should use and what I need to do to install on this machine. I am looking to use this server as a file server for the house. Any help/suggestions is very much appreciated!!

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk Pro

Linux Guru
    CentOS probably with those specs.
    CentOS Project
    PDF Admin Book

If wanting a .deb version. Then go for the source.
    https://www.debian.org/CD/live/
    The Debian Administrator's Handbook

Good Luck.

Edit: Lubuntu 14.04 and SolydXK Business Edition are others to consider also with your specs as well as MX-14.

Personally I would use Debian, but Ubuntu server is close. If you want a RedHat like system then Centos is a good choice.

I have the feeling you've never used a Unix server so you know they are lean and mean so no GUI all text console, that's because you don't typically logon to the physical server very often you ssh in to do you work. You didn't say what type of server you are building web, database, etc, or a combination of services that will help determine the load that box can handle, but if just building a server to learn on or light load it should be fine.
    A lion does not lose sleep, over the opinion of sheep.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thanks for your input. I am wanting to have something to definitely learn on since network admin and/or engineering are the field I'm currently going to school for. I have taken classes for basic Linux operations and really only learned Windows Server 2008 and 2012. I don't know much command line stuff either but am eager to learn. Besides this server being a learning tool, I am wanting to create a file server. I was thinking of eventually replacing both drives with 3-4tb drives on raid and installing the max supported memory of 4gb. I'm not sure if the installed CPU is just a P4 or a P4 extreme so that is also a potential upgrade.
    So as far as installing the OS, would I do it from a USB stick or burn it to a CD? Like I said, I'm pretty new to this area of the computing world. Thanks again!

As your main goal is to have a fileserver, my suggestion would be FreeNAS
    It is based on freebsd and provides a stable, feature rich and even userfriendly tool, with commercial support if you would need it.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsquirestech View Post
    Thanks for your input. I am wanting to have something to definitely learn on since network admin and/or engineering are the field I'm currently going to school for. I have taken classes for basic Linux operations and really only learned Windows Server 2008 and 2012. I don't know much command line stuff either but am eager to learn. Besides this server being a learning tool, I am wanting to create a file server. I was thinking of eventually replacing both drives with 3-4tb drives on raid and installing the max supported memory of 4gb. I'm not sure if the installed CPU is just a P4 or a P4 extreme so that is also a potential upgrade.
    So as far as installing the OS, would I do it from a USB stick or burn it to a CD? Like I said, I'm pretty new to this area of the computing world. Thanks again!

For learning it will be a good server, probably want to get another drive or two to play with higher RAID levels. Learning to use command line is good on Windows too, I've done a lot of Windows server support and knowing the command line and how to script in Windows is valuable skill. Adding RAM is always a good thing, but I wouldn't mess with CPU unless its free or dirty cheap to upgrade, that is unless you want to fun of bending pins on a CPU.

Good luck
    A lion does not lose sleep, over the opinion of sheep.

Just Joined!
    Well, after many frustrating hours, I am giving up on Lubuntu. After finally getting it installed, when I booted to it, it would show the logo and after loading, it would start flashing a black screen and throwing a code like "Stopping CPU interrupts Balancing Daemons". I don't know what left to do. I'm thinking of abandoning Lubuntu and trying my odds at installing CentOS. I am installing off of a bootable 16gb USB drive. I would really appreciate some insight, tips, anything really! Thanks.

Just Joined!
    Ok, so I got CentOS installed and up and running. Just a few questions; how do I set up my CentOS server to be a file server on my home network. Ever since I received my server, the fans have always run at high rpm's. How do I get the fans back to slow operating speeds so I can keep it on all the time without it running so loud? Thanks in advance for any input!

Last edited by Jsquirestech; 06-04-2014 at 03:57 PM.

Just Joined!
    Anyone?

Linux Guru
    I don't run CentOS, or any rpm based distro for that matter.

Anyone?
    So in that spirit. I would run top in terminal first to make sure cpu load is not up.
    Hence the fans working harder.

Second. I wound run sensors to check temps if you have installed
    https://www.centos.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16457

If I was you. I would download this Centos system admin handbook if you wish to run a home server and have no idea on what you are doing.

PDF Handbook

You are the server admin at home. Time to roll up your sleeves and learn something

Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS6.5 - CentOS Wiki

Good luck with it.
    Edit; I see I posted the pdf earlier.

I guess I misunderstood something.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast