Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I need to configure Keepalived Active/Active setup, I have done with Active / Passive Setup. But i am not sure about Active / Active, Is it possible ? If ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to configure Keepalived Active/Active setup

Hi

I need to configure Keepalived Active/Active setup, I have done with Active / Passive Setup. But i am not sure about Active / Active, Is it possible ?

If yes how it will work ? how to configure this and how many VIP's will the there in that setup?

Can anyone help on this ?

Thanks
    Dnyanershwar

Linux Newbie
    Hi,

Can you elaborate what you wish to achieve with Keepalived Active / Active setup? That might give some insight on how to approach this requirement.

It looks like a technically possible solution but the practicality & usability of it would depend on the use case since keepalived is basically related to mapping VIP's and IP's can be assigned on a single system at any given point of time

--Syd

Just Joined!

How to configure Keepalived Active/Active setup

The Scenario like this ,

shared IP=192.168.1.1
    192.168.1.3 192.168.1.4 192.168.1.11-192.168.1.14 192.168.1.2
    -------+------------+-----------+-----+-----+-----+--------+----
    | | | | | | _|_db
    +--+--+ +--+--+ +-+-+ +-+-+ +-+-+ +-+-+ (___)
    | LB1 | | LB2 | | A | | B | | C | | D | (___)
    +-----+ +-----+ +---+ +---+ +---+ +---+ (___)
    haproxy haproxy 4 cheap web servers
    keepalived keepalived

2nd @haproxy.1wt.eu/download/1.2/doc/architecture.txt

now in this case we need both LB should serve the request and if one of LB fails the second will server the load of failed LB also. with single floating Ip..

Is it Possible ???

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Hi,

Single floating IP is not possible since a IP can be mapped to a single server.

I could not entirely make sense of the scenario you updated about since it looks a bit jumbled but I'll try to make an effort with the way it makes sense to me.

You have two Keepalived + HAProxy servers & 4 web servers behind the HAproxy. Haproxy acts as load balancer for web servers and are accessed via a frontend VIP that's mapped to backend. The frontend IP (VIP) are managed through keepalived for failover. DB's are accessed by web. Do I get it right since I could not understand the IP assignment

Assuming that's the case:

On HAProxy, You can configure two Virtual IP's (bind <IP>) in the frontend mapping to the same backend ( logically / technically possible though I've never tried it )
    On Keepalived server configure one of the above Virtual IP's each as master per keepalived server with the other as the standby

For Web server you could use two A records mapped to different VIP's mentioned above so it would be DNS round robin. (By VIP i mean Virtual IP)

FQDN abc.xyz.com ( Two Public IP, each mapped to one of the below Virtual IP )

KA1(VIP1) ------ KA2(VIP2)
    | |
    HAProxy1 ------ HAProxy 2 ( Both have the two VIP's configured mapping to same backend )
    | |
    Web (1,2,3,4) Web (1,2,3,4)

--Syd