Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rubberman
I just signed up for a hosting account somewhere, and I'm not really clear on DNS. I would like to know: It sent the hosting companies nameserver NAMES to me, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

DNS questions

I just signed up for a hosting account somewhere, and I'm not really clear on DNS. I would like to know:

It sent the hosting companies nameserver NAMES to me, to put in the settings, and then I found a "transfer domain" part in their control panel - I understand that when I register a domain, I'll have to set the nameservers at whatever domain reg. company to these guys servers, right? But what does the "transfer domain" do? Why is it necessary?

Also, there's a bit somewhere about "creating the directory" on the server - does that mean that if I have a site, www.xyz.com , I'll have to create a dir called "www.xyz.com" on the server, and put my website under that? What's going on here exactly? Why is this necessary? Why can't I just put it in whatever dir my FTP client will give me first automatically, if I just use their username and password in my FTP client?

I have only a rudimentary understanding of DNS Thanks.

Sure they weren't talking about Zone Transfer?

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/164017
    A lion does not lose sleep, over the opinion of sheep.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Do contact your hosting service support group for help with this. What you are saying makes little sense to me, and I have done a lot of this with Amazon's AWS cloud. In any case, the hosting service support staff can much better guide you on what you need to do in order to get your web services running properly on their gear.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    I don't just want to get it running properly, I want to understand the THEORY of DNS, how it works.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    DNS is one of the fundamental Internet protocols. Here is a link to the Wikipedia article on it: Domain Name System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - and remember that Google or DuckDuckGo are your friends!
    docbop likes this.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux User
    I'd rather have my queries answered by a human.

Actually I have already seen quite a few Youtube videos on DNS, but I still have questions, such as what I posted, which will make the whole thing clearer for me.