Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, my website /videos directory is around 100GB large, and i cant store that much data on my VPS, but i have another dedicated server with alot of space. Please ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How to symlink directory to other server IP

Hello,

my website /videos directory is around 100GB large, and i cant store that much data on my VPS, but i have another dedicated server with alot of space. Please how i can somehow symlink directory with big files (.swf) to another server where i have alot of disk space? Thank you
    "Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux affordable VPS."

Just Joined!
    just use NFS

mkdir OTHERSERVER
    mount -t nfs IP_OTHERSERVER:/path/to/folder OTHERSERVER

also, you need to install nfs-server on OTHERSERVER and edit /etc/exports file

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    ntbl is correct, but you can also use Samba if you prefer and have Windoze systems that you may want to have access to the files. I have done both. FWIW, you can mount an NFS exported directory on one system, and create a Samba mount to the same server/directory on another system (client) if necessary. One size does not necessarily fit all!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    thx, just curious if it would be safe to serve mysql (/var/lib/mysql) directory this way from another server via NFS? i mean mysql data lost, interuptions...
    "Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux affordable VPS."

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Not a good idea. Lost data will be the least of your problems. MySQL is not intended to have multiple servers accessing the data at the same time, no matter how it is mounted or accessed (locally or remotely). You can have multiple clients accessing the server from many IP addresses and the server will deal with lost connections and such (roll back of incomplete transactions) quite well, but under NO circumstances should the data store be on anything but a file system local to the server itself.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!